inclusion in games for new members

sid kneller

Visit site
is it possible that when someone books a game on club v1 that there would be a way of putting please join me, because most people don't want to play a round of golf on their own but other people may feel that you may want to play on their own at the club that I am at some players end up forced to play on their own yet it is better for the golf course to get as many people with fewer tee times
to keep speed of play consistent thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
is it possible that when someone books a game on club v1 that there would be a way of putting please join me, because most people don't want to play a round of golf on their own but other people may feel that you may want to play on their own at the club that I am at some players end up forced to play on their own yet it is better for the golf course to get as many people with fewer tee times
I don't know if it is available in V1 but BRS allows you to 'block off' places by entering 'Guest'. So if you want to play on your own you can block the other 3 spots. The normal convention is that if you don't block spare spots you are inviting others to join you.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know if it is available in V1 but BRS allows you to 'block off' places by entering 'Guest'. So if you want to play on your own you can block the other 3 spots. The normal convention is that if you don't block spare spots you are inviting others to join you.
That’s how it is at my place…of course it does mean that anyone can join me if I book myself in with intent of playing by myself…but I’m happy to go with someone adding their name as happy to play with anyone. That said, its rare for anyone to join me when I book a mid-late afternoon time outside of weekends.

RichA

Visit site
If your club doesn't have a social golf WhatsApp group, ask them to start one or do it yourself and put a notice up. All new members and plenty of old ones joined ours and you rarely play alone, unless you want to.

sid kneller

Visit site
Thanks all it’s just that at our club it seems that a few people have ended up playing on our own not good for the game or golf.
Also I have found out that stones in the bunkers help your aggregate score.

Swango1980

Visit site
That may be true. Although, when I use BRS, I usually book a slot fairly early. There are about 12 of us in our group, so they can just add themselves as and when they know they are available. This seems to be the thought process from most in the club, so people don't just book themselves in with another person they don't really know, or one not part of their group. I could book Guest to guarantee a "stranger" doesn't add themselves, but then it is a hassle having to get rid of guest when someone who is part of the group says they want to play. Besides, I genuinely do invite guests from time to time, so people in my group would just assume I am actually playing with a guest, and therefore book a different slot if they could.

A "Please Join Me Anyone" slot would be a very good idea. If I hadn't filled up my group with 2 or 3 days to go, I could just update it to invite anyone to join. We'd have no issue with that, would be a good thing to do. Or, solo golfers could do so right from the start, or see that another group would be happy to have them join. It is just a very direct way of letting others know that they are more than welcome.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think it is such a good idea, I've actually sent some feedback to BRS to suggest it could be a good idea. Another good option would be "Unavailable", which would be useful if you are booking 2 players into a singles match, and you want to block out the other 2 spaces. At the moment you have to use "Guest", which isn't technically correct, and I'm sure the club might worry you have unpaying guests with you :)

sid kneller

Visit site
Thanks for that our course has a lot of long time members that have their own routines and set groups and they don’t seem to be open assisting new members I have been there three years and still struggle to blend in,I don’t want to play with the same group all the time,I also believe if you play with the same group all the time you close off a way from learning more rules cheers

Swango1980

Visit site
Thanks for that our course has a lot of long time members that have their own routines and set groups and they don’t seem to be open assisting new members I have been there three years and still struggle to blend in,I don’t want to play with the same group all the time,I also believe if you play with the same group all the time you close off a way from learning more rules cheers
It may be worth someone e-mailing similar feedback to Club V1, or any other related booking system, if you think it is a good idea. Would be interesting to see if any of the providers think the same, and act on it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes thanks but all golfers should remember when they first started and include others

Absolutely... I suggested we have the odd "drawn" event at our place to help integrate new members and to "mix it up a bit." You would have thought I'd suggested burning down the clubhouse! :)

Meanwhile.. at another place I am a country member, I am getting messages checking I am getting regular games!

At both there is an assumption that if there is a gap, you can add your name. For match play games, folk add 2 visitors. But I would always message the other players to say "I hope it is ok to join you."

sid kneller

Visit site
All golf courses have good and bad things about them where I play it’s dry so very playable it has a waiting list but as I said before a lot of people have been there a long time and as I am not posh or a proper arrogant member I do feel excluded sometimes,a case in point in the summer a 9 hole roll up on thursday at 4.00 pm I arrived at 2 practiced then went to the pro shop to sign in and found out people tees off at various times as normal and just included the 9 hole roll up in their 18 luckily someone else turned up and I got a game sorry for gripe

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a good idea to have a word with the Pro Shop team, they will be able to give advice and also team you up with others.