In The Presence Of Greatness!!

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
Hi everyone!
Hope your seasons have gone well as winter approaches.

My Cycling has been great,ive really enjoyed it,lost a stone in weight :D and not missed the golf 1 jot which proves I made the right decision.

I have recently become a follower/addicted to twitter and I follow all the Pro cyclists on there.
You may have seen on the news that Lance Armstrong tweeted for people to join him for a ride in Scotland & Ireland with thousands turning up.

Well Bradley Wiggins lives and trains on my local roads when he is in the U.K so imagine my astonishment when he tweeted he was joining the local midweek chain Gang.
I Lycra'd up and headed out and not only got to ride with but talk to a 3 time Olympic gold medalist and highest ever placed british rider in the Tour De France (4th).

WHAT A THRILL!!!

and what a tremendous guy to boot!!

I managed to stay with them for all of about 15 miles being on the rivot for all of it before the pace got a bit to spicy for most of us but it was well worth it.

Suppose it would be like you guys playing 6 holes with Lee Westwood!!

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi mate,

glad to hear your enjoying the cycling ant that it was the right move for you . Did you find it easy for those 15 miles? It makes you realise how fit these people are.
Do you still have the odd round or stopped all together.

Hope all is well

Midnight...

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
Those 15 miles were tough but in a big group you get dragged along in the draft.
At the 15 mile point we hit some hills and it was every man for themselves.
Bradley and other full time riders disappeared over the horizon never to be seen again!
I just wish I had taken some pictures but I felt like I would be intruding on his private time although I know he probably would have been fine about it.

I came out of golfing retirement for 1 day last week to play in the invitation with my dad at Southport & Ainsdale.
It was arranged before I gave up.
It was a cast iron contract that I couldnt get out of..

The Story was the same as the county champs when I last played in May,hit the ball great and shot 74 gross in the wind and rain.
There is a lot to be said for playing with a clear mind,keep it simple and just hit the ball!!

Anyway afterwards my only thought was to be getting back on my bike.
I will return to golf at some point im sure but I dont foresee hitting another golf shot for the next 3 years at least and I have already told my club that I will not be renewing my membership in January.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I also cycle, and I'm quite jealous you got to ride with Brdley Wiggins, one of my favourite cyclists. Are you thinking of doing the Etape anytime soon? It, along with the Marmotte, are a must at leats once in your cycling career.

Glad you're enjoying it. If you're ever on the Cycling Weekly forum, say hi (I use the same username).

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
Slowhand

The etape has become very expensive for essentially 1 days riding.

I did the raid pyrenean in 2005 which was just an incredible experience,5 days,19 cols for less than the etape. Didnt have kids then and trained for 9 months.Got myself into tip top shape and although it was very hard at times, I was only chewing my stem a few times.

Now your talking with the marmotte,that is my biggest goal to achieve in cycling and I want to do the RAid Alpine as well at some point as well as god knows how many others.

Sadly as far as my cyclings concerned I have 11 month and 3 year old daughters, so my training is confined to Sunday Runs with the cycle club and one hr-2hr ride in the week if im lucky.

Best Im looking at in the short term is family hols in Majorca and take the bike,love the mountains there.

Meantime my return is sportives in the rain in old blighty in 2010!
Looking forward to entering them..err i think!!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sadly as far as my cyclings concerned I have 11 month and 3 year old daughters, so my training is confined to Sunday Runs with the cycle club and one hr-2hr ride in the week if im lucky.

So that's a lot less than golf would take up, so you're on to a winner!

My brother in law has done the etape twice (this year and 2007) and has had a fantastic experience in both - I know it takes a huge amount of organising to get several families there at the right time, but each one has been a great occasion for them all.