I'm so over the top!!!!

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I work on two things, assuming you are right handed.

1) Making sure the first movement on the downswing is to bring my right elbow into my side.
2) On the way down, when the club shaft is horizontal, it points to the right of the target.

Check your alingment first though.

And you may have to work on getting your hands more active as otherwise you will start the ball right with a cut.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Address a 7 iron. Without moving your arms rotate your wrists to the right so the butt of the club points directly ahead of you. Lock this position into your memory. Come back to address, take the club up to the top then bring it back down so it returns directly to this same position with the butt pointing forwards. Repeat many times so that you can do it in your sleep. Now, do the same in your swing, this will get the club in the correct delivery position where the clubhead can track down to the ball on the correct inside path.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get yoruself some time on an Explaner or buy yourself an impact ball for 30 squid and get a lesson on how to use it.

Both with help you get that body turn while keeping the elbows in.

I was suffering from a flying elbow, 5 mins with each of those and I was fixed :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's alignment with me. I am working hard to get it right and yesterday was achieving much better results. I have been addressing the ball aiming well to the right, and the only way to get back at it was to come over the top. Now making a much more determined effort to square up to the ball and lo and behold, my divots are now more or less aiming where I should be going!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i've come across 2 different over the top movements,

first like lots of the above posts hitting with in out to in swing path, a good basic cure is a head cover drill, which a pro who posts on here recommends, put a head cover just behind and to the right of the ball to stop you attaching from the outside

second what i was doing, thought it an out to in swing as above, but only when i saw my swing in super slo mo realised it was something else.
my hands were coming too far away from my body, towards the ball, at the start of my swing that gave the appearence of an over top swing,

best thing to do is book a lesson

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
a good basic cure is a head cover drill, which a pro who posts on here recommends, put a head cover just behind and to the right of the ball to stop you attaching from the outside

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I[/video]

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont think people swing over the top through setup. You may swing out to in in relation to the target by aiming left of target but OTT is a swing fault, normaly caused by starting down with the upper body first.

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been working hard on finding where the fault starts and after looking at many videos I can clearly see I have a massive over swing going past horizontal. When this happens I the all out of balance and have a tendency to start the downswing with my shoulders throwing the club out and over the top. I have tried to shorten my swing but it is proving so difficult. But when I succeed the results speak for themselves.

Just need to find a way to keep it short now :(

BramallMac

Club Champion
www.bramallparkgolfclub.co.uk
I battled the same problem for a long time. Had a lesson which really helped, the pro told me I was going too wide on the backswing, which gave far too much room for my arms to go OTT. The two things I concentrate on to stop it are
1) As per Mattyboy above, tuck your right elbow in, which will put you more upright
2) Keep your wrists firm

An EXplanar will certainly help as well, if you can find one.

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site