Im Either great or crap!! Why?

10cclo

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and just wanted to get something off my chest that has been bugging me for quite a while now. My current exact chap is 6.6 and I've been playing for over 30 years. I decided last winter that this year was going to be the year that get down to category 1. So far its been a busy. I have quite a knowledge of the golf swing and am reasonably consistent around the course but what I'm finding very frustratingly is I'm either very good or very bad on any given hole. I can't seem to keep a consistent round together without tragic holes happening. One minute I'm on the Green in regulation and putting for Birdie and the next I'm looking for a ball in the trees or out of bounds. I'm very disciplined when it comes to practice and have pretty good regimes of short game long game and putting and most of the time I come off the practice ground very happy and looking forward to the next game. That game usually comes and goes with me coming off the course disappointed and wondering what the hell has happened. I'm actually frightened to play in any club competitions as in my mind I might as well just get pt1 lift before I step on the first tee. This is now getting to the point where I'm losing any Faith and potentially an interest in the game in general. I've had lessons and generally what happens is like when you take your car to the mechanic with a rattle and when you get there the rattle disappears. Same with me. So I've come to the conclusion that I have the game without a doubt but can't seem to keep it together on the course. I'm generally quite stable in the mind and don't get frustrated, I just move on to the next shot after a bad shot and don't dwell on it. I'm really not quite sure what to do and wonder if anybody else has been or is in the same situation and has found a way out of it?

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You've been playing 30 years, you're obviously at the limit of where your swing and ability will take you.
Clearly your swing needs improving to be more effective and reliable.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure am Beezerk, better drummer than I am a golfer lately :)

Ha ha, they played at our place a few months ago (CLS), sure I overheard the secretary say one of the band was a member here.
Just checked out the 10cclo website, they look very much like the majority of a band called Prognosis, now they were a $hit hot band but they never seem to gig now :(

10cclo

Hacker
Visit site
Something needs to change. The problem is what? Recent lessons I've had haven't thrown up any problems with the swing in general. The only issue was a slight over the top plane. This doesn't seem to be affecting the ball strike but it's still something I'm trying to rectify by using the zepp golf analyser. Also thinking about it a bit more the last few bad rounds I've had have been in reasonable windy conditions that definitely seems to be an issue as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
that's golf for you.

the weight of expectation is a problem for many golfers, myself included. one day i can shoot level par or better the next you would think i was a 25 handicap not 5.

I think the key is to try and forget the bad holes and try and stay positive, which is difficult once you have already blown your handicap on the first 3 holes;)

no one is perfect, that's why we have handicaps, once you get your handicap down to single figures and cat1 there is far less margin for error.

When it comes to bad shots as Bob mentioned its the bad shots if you have a particular type, getting rid of that might be a start.

good luck

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Something needs to change. The problem is what? Recent lessons I've had haven't thrown up any problems with the swing in general. The only issue was a slight over the top plane. This doesn't seem to be affecting the ball strike but it's still something I'm trying to rectify by using the zepp golf analyser. Also thinking about it a bit more the last few bad rounds I've had have been in reasonable windy conditions that definitely seems to be an issue as well.

So Tee shots are ok?

10cclo

Hacker
Visit site
So Tee shots are ok?
Yeah generally drives are fairly dependable and are around the 240-250ish mark. Chipping has improved massively now that I can get onto the practice ground which thankfully our club has great facilities. As I say It's just the "blow-up" holes where I come off with nothing that's killing me.
I think its gonna be down to just riding through it and keep practising.
Im also using the gameGolf app, this is pretty good for seeing where my weak shots are and gives me pointers as to where i need to concentrate practice.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The band was formed from the majority of prognosis members. Who is this btw? Do we know each other?

No mate but I've seen Prognosis quite a few times. I was saying to my regular pp a while ago, "that fella looks a dead ringer for the drummer from Prognosis" so it all kind of makes sense now 😁

10cclo

Hacker
Visit site
You need to work on this - everyone else on here has at least a 300 carry.

Hmm don't think so I'm struggling with the game enough without worrying about macho distance of 300 yards, and how would you know that "everyone" has a carry distance of 300yards, you seen them all play? Thats amazing if you have

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hmm don't think so I'm struggling with the game enough without worrying about macho distance of 300 yards, and how would you know that "everyone" has a carry distance of 300yards, you seen them all play? Thats amazing if you have

I think he was joking

10cclo

Hacker
Visit site
Actually tried the new callaway epic at American Golf last week and pitted it against my current Cobra Amp cell. Now dont know if the trackman results are "helped" but my average with mine was 250-255 and the epic was 265-270, plus the dispersion was a lot tighter with the epic. £430 though, ouch!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

There is the problem, guaranteed.

A "slight" over the top in a lesson can easily transform into much more over the plane on the course. Out to in, too steep angle of attack and it can get worse under a bit of stress or when your body isn't moving so freely.

Also, as a result of this you will have excess spin on the ball which will show up as an issue in the wind.

Fix the downswing plane.