If any one round has convinced me it's all about scrambling...

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
...it's the one I played today. Bit of a mad round which I hope you don't mind me sharing. Those who have played with me should appreciate.

This morning I decided to pop down to my nearest council course for a bash. I'd played yesterday at another and despite playing well (61% GIR) I'd scored a disappointing +9 thanks to atrocious chipping and pitching.

Today I played considerably worse from tee to green (44% GIR... my worst of the year) but managed to knock it round in 68 (+1) thanks to some unusually good chipping (for me) and 27 putts. A 50% scrambling stat. Oof. I can only dream of that.

It really IS all about the scrambling when it comes to my good scores. I tend to average 50% GIR but that can mean +18 or +1 it would seem depending on how I chip and pitch at those other 9 holes.

The strange thing about today's score is that, now that I'm using my GameGolf device for my stats, I had absolutely no idea what I'd scored until I got home! I really have stopped counting my score completely. Seriously. I knew I'd had some birdies but in fact I'd had 4 in the front 9 to be out in -4 !! (2 of them were thinned wedges to tap in distance but the other 2 were deserved) In a way I'm glad. Instead of blowing up to +5 on the back 9 I would probably have collapsed to +18 or something similar. :)

Anyway. I couldn't help but share. One of my goals this year was to post a level par round at some point. What would I have done if I'd hit it in February?! Retire? The only time I've had one was in 2008 on the same course and also with 4 birdies and 27 putts!

Also, I'm certainly not resting on my laurels now. I wanted to have a look at my swing after a lesson on Monday so took some GoPro footage on some holes. A wee bit of slow-mo is always instructive.

http://youtu.be/fvHMrIMQz6Q

Jeez. My swing really is in a state, so lots of work to be done. Ho hum. It's never-ending and mystifying this game, isn't it? Can someone explain it to me? Please.

Well played John. 4 birdies and a razor sharp short game will certainly make a great score.

As well as getting up and down for pars, I always find a few long putts keep the momentum going.

That level par round will happen soon!

D

Deleted member 16999

The frustrating thing is what happened to me today, listened to some of the forum members and have stepped up my putting and short game practise, last few rounds have been really encouraging, until today!! Played really well off the tee and my short game of the past few weeks had gone, 4 3 putts including one time were I'd driven the green! Thinned wedges, duffed chips!
A smile and a reminder this game doesn't let you win all the time, but why does it happen, I genuinely don't know what happened.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...it's the one I played today. Bit of a mad round which I hope you don't mind me sharing. Those who have played with me should appreciate.

This morning I decided to pop down to my nearest council course for a bash. I'd played yesterday at another and despite playing well (61% GIR) I'd scored a disappointing +9 thanks to atrocious chipping and pitching

Today I played considerably worse from tee to green (44% GIR... my worst of the year) but managed to knock it round in 68 (+1) thanks to some unusually good chipping (for me) and 27 putts. A 50% scrambling stat. Oof. I can only dream of that.

It really IS all about the scrambling when it comes to my good scores. I tend to average 50% GIR but that can mean +18 or +1 it would seem depending on how I chip and pitch at those other 9 holes.

The strange thing about today's score is that, now that I'm using my GameGolf device for my stats, I had absolutely no idea what I'd scored until I got home! I really have stopped counting my score completely. Seriously. I knew I'd had some birdies but in fact I'd had 4 in the front 9 to be out in -4 !! (2 of them were thinned wedges to tap in distance but the other 2 were deserved) In a way I'm glad. Instead of blowing up to +5 on the back 9 I would probably have collapsed to +18 or something similar. :)

Anyway. I couldn't help but share. One of my goals this year was to post a level par round at some point. What would I have done if I'd hit it in February?! Retire? The only time I've had one was in 2008 on the same course and also with 4 birdies and 27 putts!

Also, I'm certainly not resting on my laurels now. I wanted to have a look at my swing after a lesson on Monday so took some GoPro footage on some holes. A wee bit of slow-mo is always instructive.

http://youtu.be/fvHMrIMQz6Q

Jeez. My swing really is in a state, so lots of work to be done. Ho hum. It's never-ending and mystifying this game, isn't it? Can someone explain it to me? Please.

Out of interest John, were you playing off forward tees and winter greens?