Identifying Your Ball On The First Tee

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did they ask if all clubs were conforming as well?
I've never seen that but asking if they've checked they have fewer than 15 clubs in their bag is standard practice in all county, national and international events. As is asking if they can identify their ball.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
After playing the wrong ball on the 1st hole at St Mellion years ago because one of my playing partners didn't confirm that he was playing the same ball as me, I always like to know..... it's too late after the event.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
After playing the wrong ball on the 1st hole at St Mellion years ago because one of my playing partners didn't confirm that he was playing the same ball as me, I always like to know..... it's too late after the event.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, I'm not clear what the other player has to do with it. Doesn't that mean that you didn't have a unique identifying mark on your own ball? :unsure:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not clear what the other player has to do with it. Doesn't that mean that you didn't have a unique identifying mark on your own ball? :unsure:

The only identifying mark I had on my ball was the fact that it was a Srixon 3. I thought that this would be fine because as far as I was concerned nobody else was playing a Srixon 3. Had the other guy said "Ooops I'm playing a Srixon 3 too" then I would have changed it, or put an identifying mark on it. Whilst I can be accused of "negligence" by not putting an identifying mark on my ball, was I so wrong to expect somebody else to use a little common sense????

DickInShorts

Visit site
The only identifying mark I had on my ball was the fact that it was a Srixon 3. I thought that this would be fine because as far as I was concerned nobody else was playing a Srixon 3. Had the other guy said "Ooops I'm playing a Srixon 3 too" then I would have changed it, or put an identifying mark on it. Whilst I can be accused of "negligence" by not putting an identifying mark on my ball, was I so wrong to expect somebody else to use a little common sense????

So if you had all played different makes of ball what would you have done if you’d hit your ball into thickish rough and found two (unmarked) Srixon 3s of the same model? I’m pretty sure there are thousands if not millions of them around the world!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As yesterday I was the only one of my four ball who declared their ball on the tee - on reflection I recall noticing but not being fussed, I suppose that I am not bothered if others in my group don’t. I am really only concerned about my own ball, and making sure that I can identify it when it’s in play, and identify it with a certainty that I and all others in my group can 100% trust in. I don’t want to make an honest mistake. I might as well declare identification of ball on 1st rather than wait until a situation arises when I might have to.

If a player finds a ball in deep rough and declares it his then that his his prerogative - if I don’t believe him for whatever reason then I can choose to challenge or just let it go. Golf is a game of honour, trust and integrity. If someone cheats then be that on his conscience.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
As yesterday I was the only one of my four ball who declared their ball on the tee and on reflection I wasn’t fussed, I suppose that I am not bothered if others in my group don’t. I am really only concerned about my own ball, and making sure that I can identify it when it’s in play, and identify it with a certainty that I and all others in my group can 100% trust in. I don’t want to make an honest mistake.

If a player finds a ball in deep rough and declares it his then that his his prerogative - if I don’t believe him for whatever reason then I can choose to challenge or just let it go. Golf is a game of honour, trust and integrity. If someone cheats then be that on his conscience.
While those bolded words are true, we are all required by rule 20.1c(2) to not ignore any breach.

D

Deleted member 23270

If someone refuses to identify their ball on the 1st tee then to me it raises suspicions that they are prepared to cheat. I've seen it before looking for balls in the rough.
"Here's a Titleist 2"

"Cheers, that's it"

Fairly sure you putted out with a Srixon on the last hole :unsure:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If someone refuses to identify their ball on the 1st tee then to me it raises suspicions that they are prepared to cheat. I've seen it before looking for balls in the rough.
"Here's a Titleist 2"

"Cheers, that's it"

Fairly sure you putted out with a Srixon on the last hole :unsure:

Totally agree. It’s akin to those who play golf with a ball in their pocket.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always declare my ball markings and have a different make of ball in my pocket with markings in case as my name suggests I need to play “3 off the tee”. It makes common sense both at the start of the round and when looking and basically do no understand what all the fuss is about regarding adding 2 marks and an initial on a ball.

Just do it!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Dick in Shorts

Millions of players probably play Srixon balls

What are you going to do in this scenario?

You ht your ball in to an are of eh course that you cannot see from where you play your shot. When you get there, there are two ball both the same make both the same number neither ball has unique identifying marks and look virtually identical from a wear point of view.

unless of course as per Colin this is just a wind up.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Please explain what you think is wrong with players carrying a second ball in their pocket and then I will tell you why I do it and advise others to do it.

Why is there a need for it to be in your pocket? Whilst not for one moment accusing you of anything untoward, you leave yourself wide open to suspicion and suggestion of wrong doing.

We have a guy at ours who never loses a ball. Never. It doesn’t matter where it goes - knee high rough, wherever - he finds it. There have been rumours for years. He can also hit it 200 yards from the sort of rough most golfers need to take a wedge from. Nobody trusts him, but nobody has caught him in the act.

I played with him a few weeks back and his drive at ten flirted with OOB. His provisional was produced from his pocket. Now I can’t say for sure, but that may explain why he never loses any ammo.

I hear the explanation that you can fish a ball from your pocket to play three from the tee. Is it so far to walk to your bag?

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why is there a need for it to be in your pocket? Whilst not for one moment accusing you of anything untoward, you leave yourself wide open to suspicion and suggestion of wrong doing.

We have a guy at ours who never loses a ball. Never. It doesn’t matter where it goes - knee high rough, wherever - he finds it. There have been rumours for years. He can also hit it 200 yards from the sort of rough most golfers need to take a wedge from. Nobody trusts him, but nobody has caught him in the act.

I played with him a few weeks back and his drive at ten flirted with OOB. His provisional was produced from his pocket. Now I can’t say for sure, but that may explain why he never loses any ammo.

I hear the explanation that you can fish a ball from your pocket to play three from the tee. Is it so far to walk to your bag?

Theres not a need theres a want! Haha, never lose a ball, yeah not a category I fall into!!!! In places yes its a long way to my bag when on a bad day I may hit a handful of reloads and I can carry one in my pocket, why wouldnt I.

I assume youve adderessed this to his face rather than just mentioning on a golf forum?