Identifying groove type on vintage (ish) club?

ClicketyClick

Visit site
Completely forgot I had this club, it's a Tommy Armour 845 v-31 60° wedge. I'm guessing 1980s. Has a lovely Lamkin grip, but the grooves look like they've seen better days! How would one go about determining the correct groove sharpening tool to give it a new lease of life? Screenshot_20230622-161801_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230622-162754_Gallery.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The grooves look half decent to me, I'd certainly have no worries about hitting balls with those.

As to the style, you'll need to find some old advertising or review data on Tommy Armour clubs.
They look a bit like a "U" grooves from the picture but be warned those Armour cast heads are made from a hard steel.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the problems you may have is that Tommy Armour used the 845 number for various editions of the club some of which had square grooves. If it is an 80s club it could easily be one of those (and certainly looks it from the photos)

Amateurs are only allowed to used clubs with non conforming grooves for the rest of this year (from memory).

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just because groove sharpening can be done, does not mean that it needs to be done.
Not worth the bother in this case, I feel. Face looks very decent and playable considering age of club.
Out of the rough and over a bunker its height of shot and steep descent angle that gets you the result more than "spin".

As for legality - microscope on the top two grooves that have no "wear" probably best bet.
Or just go ahead and use it and plead ignorance if ever questioned about "shape of grooves". :unsure: