I wish I knew then what I know now

Siolag

Visit site
As winter approaches, competition will be slim on the ground, so wondering about how to spend the time improving ahead of the medal season in 2020.

Is there anything that people wish they had or hadn't done during their first year of golf? Anything that can help a high handicapper improve over winter?

One Idea I have had is to note the number of shots with every club on my rounds from now on. Hopefully it'll help me analyse my game, and I am also hopeful I can track improvement too.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Winter approaches? Have we had summer yet??

Personally not very much changes for me over winter. Late night mid-week rounds are gone obviously, but we still play on the weekend - as long as the course is open and it's above 1°c we'll give it a go. Green fees are normally cheaper as well. I don't really get much out of going to the driving range, and that doesn't really change just because it's cold out. Just keep playing, keep hitting as much as you can. There's not much better for your golf than playing golf I shouldn't think.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Had a decent July.... and set fair again now.... can't speak for Stirling though!

If it's your first year, I'd focus on improving basic technique. I'd be surprised if you need a bunch of data to tell you what is what! If you are aiming to break 100, big stuff like getting it in play more often and better striking will do that. That's a "macro" item, build a more reliable repeatable swing. (lessons/coaching in many cases!)

- some micro data is useful.... how many balls do you lose a round? How many 3 putts? They are good places to start.... greens in reg etc can come later.

The difference between a 120 shooter and 100 shooter is often just the ability to get it off the tee, then finding it and reducing (or stopping) the scuttle along the floor.

Don't go chasing "consistency," it's an illusion! As you improve, your good and bad scores just get closer together. :)

Mostly............... have fun and keep at it

The wise old sages on here will have plenty of thoughts!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Winter league medals on Wednesday, Saturday and Sundays throughout the close season plus plenty bargains to have at links courses in the winter.

sunshine

Visit site
As winter approaches, competition will be slim on the ground, so wondering about how to spend the time improving ahead of the medal season in 2020.

Is there anything that people wish they had or hadn't done during their first year of golf? Anything that can help a high handicapper improve over winter?

One Idea I have had is to note the number of shots with every club on my rounds from now on. Hopefully it'll help me analyse my game, and I am also hopeful I can track improvement too.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Winter! Posting in August in the height of summer! Personally I find September and October to be the best months for golf (in England anyway). Weather is usually decent and courses in great nick after the summer.