I wish I had a hippy to kick!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the tax I pay on petrol was spent reducing global warming (how I don't know), then the UK Gov could justify it. But to keep raising the price, to effectivly price me off the road is stupid. There is no viable alternative means of transport in this country. If they spent all the tax improving public transport it might help, but no.
The rail companies increase ticket prices, to put off customers because apparently too many people take the train and they need to reduce this number (or invest in new services - too much cost). Buses are hopeless, no time table, poor routing, driven by drunken albanians, dirty, poluting (8 miles to the gallon, no emissions control).
So I continue to do the same mileage, because I have to, not because I decide on a whim to drive an unnecessary 100 miles twice a week. It just costs me more.

If I sell my car, it will be shipped to North Africa, where someone else will drive it for the next 20 years, and I will have to buy a new one (with a smaller engine), but the environmental damage caused in making this car is greater than the damage my current one does in just driving it.

As I said before, we in the UK are killing our economy in an attempt to save the planet on our own. This is stupid. Especially as our influence on global warming is far from proven.

Motoring alone seems to get caned. Why not power stations, businesses (we don't recycle at all at work), farming (cows -major producer of methane), air travel (no tax on kerosene, and how can it be ethical to let someone fly to Barcelona for £20, talk about unnecessary travel - although cheaper than driving to Bognor).

The best thing the Gov could do to reduce my carbon footprint is to pay me to insulate my house. I still have no curtains or carpets after 10 years, but there is no grant to assist me in doing this, and without it I can't be bothered.

It is all rubbish.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i agree murth, tis a load of bollo***.

Life's to short to worry about all that nonsense.

If the gov spent road tax on improving the state of our roads and increasing the number of lanes on motorways, better system of keeping traffic flowing etc, then we wouldn be stuck in jams all the time and wouldn't cause as much pollution by stop/starting as often.

As for climate change, its almost middle of april and it is as cold as december still. They say that in 20 years this country will be as hot as spain, if thats true then i say, deflate your tyres and put your foot down.

There is always somethin to moan about and when climate change gets boring, there will be somethin else. I for one dont give a monkeys about bloody carbon emmisions and all that malarky, life is for living, you only get one chance and that aint long enough.

A good signature once said, dont take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
toonarmy: don't know what film you've been watching but its telling you cobblers. I don't know whether climate change is due to our action and am even sceptical as to whether or how we could tell it was us anyway. But for professional reasons completely unrelated to climate change, I do know my plant science - and the plants and leaves "facts" you mention are eye wash.

I'm out.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What happened to the hole in the ozone layer? What happened to acid rain? They were both passing media flavours-of-the-month and are not talked about anymore. Hopefully global warming will eventually become boring, especially when none of the predicted disasters come about, and 'they' will find some other topic for selling newspapers and for raising taxes.

It wasn't long ago that we were all going to die of AIDS.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the tax I pay on petrol was spent reducing global warming (how I don't know), then the UK Gov could justify it. But to keep raising the price, to effectivly price me off the road is stupid. There is no viable alternative means of transport in this country. If they spent all the tax improving public transport it might help, but no.
The rail companies increase ticket prices, to put off customers because apparently too many people take the train and they need to reduce this number (or invest in new services - too much cost). Buses are hopeless, no time table, poor routing, driven by drunken albanians, dirty, poluting (8 miles to the gallon, no emissions control).
So I continue to do the same mileage, because I have to, not because I decide on a whim to drive an unnecessary 100 miles twice a week. It just costs me more.

If I sell my car, it will be shipped to North Africa, where someone else will drive it for the next 20 years, and I will have to buy a new one (with a smaller engine), but the environmental damage caused in making this car is greater than the damage my current one does in just driving it.

As I said before, we in the UK are killing our economy in an attempt to save the planet on our own. This is stupid. Especially as our influence on global warming is far from proven.

Motoring alone seems to get caned. Why not power stations, businesses (we don't recycle at all at work), farming (cows -major producer of methane), air travel (no tax on kerosene, and how can it be ethical to let someone fly to Barcelona for £20, talk about unnecessary travel - although cheaper than driving to Bognor).

The best thing the Gov could do to reduce my carbon footprint is to pay me to insulate my house. I still have no curtains or carpets after 10 years, but there is no grant to assist me in doing this, and without it I can't be bothered.

It is all rubbish.

Very well put Murph

Perhaps you should ask the PM for his comments. Try sending it to him at http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp?V=F. But beware, they want to know everything about you when you send an email...........

If you are too vocal and anti establishment they might just send MWJ around with a few of his "heavies".

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What do you do for a living, backwoodsman? Biologist or something like that? There's a big anti-golf feeling here in Spain among the ecologists who claim that golf courses deprive others of the water they need. I'm sceptical but would be interested in your views.
Shanker.