I have a shaft issue!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a mint 2nd hand Titleist 910F 3 wood with a Reg Diamana blue shaft....The reason i bought it no.1 was that it was cheap and 2 was that i said with the regular shaft it might straighten out my slight fade with my own Ping.....

Well i hit it this morning....Its easily 15-20 mtrs longer than my Ping..Flight is lovely..I dont know if this is down to the shaft or the head....I have it set on neutral....If i swing nice and smooth it goes miles....But if i try give it anything extra then its hook city......Everything is Low and left....

It feels lovely to swing when i dont try and hammer one but i find that if i try swinging this way with the driver im loosing alot of distance with it....The 909 D2 i have has a stiff Voodoo shaft in it but im hitting this well....The only difference is that with the driver i dont really hold anything back but if i do im loosing them to the right...Which to me may mean that the shaft is a little too stiff.

Should i just reshaft the driver with the same shaft as the 3 wood or maybe change to a 910D3 with 10.5 loft and same family of shaft as the 3 wood.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1. Why would you think a softer flex would straighten a slight fade?

2. As you have a choice of 2 swings that 'work', ask yourself which one is the more reliable - that's the one to go for.

Seems to me you are capable of loading a Stiff shaft, but '3-wood' swing of the Driver is not producing enough power to make it work - something that happened to me after a sedentary period following a broken ankle!

Personally, I'd go the Diamana Blue way. Always liked that shaft and the Voodoo feels a little 'rubbery' to me. Works well in my 909H though - point and shoot accuracy! Only real consideration, for me, is that I'm more likely to give my (stiff) 3-wood more wellie than my (Reg) Driver!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Why would you think a softer flex would straighten a slight fade?

2. As you have a choice of 2 swings that 'work', ask yourself which one is the more reliable - that's the one to go for.

Seems to me you are capable of loading a Stiff shaft, but '3-wood' swing of the Driver is not producing enough power to make it work - something that happened to me after a sedentary period following a broken ankle!

Personally, I'd go the Diamana Blue way. Always liked that shaft and the Voodoo feels a little 'rubbery' to me. Works well in my 909H though - point and shoot accuracy! Only real consideration, for me, is that I'm more likely to give my (stiff) 3-wood more wellie than my (Reg) Driver!

Similar issue to me with your 3 wood FH....But i have it the other way round with the driver 3 wood....
The reason i thought that it might straighten the fade is the with the regular shaft it may close the face a little earlier through impact.....
Anything i read about stiff vs regular shafts is that the regular ones if they are too whippy for you and you need a stiff then you'll loose them to the left....
And if you need a regular and are using stiff then you might start loosing the ball right.....
Its just something that i had to try myself....

I suppose if you go on the iron equation i hit my 7 iron between 145-155 yards and have s300 shafts in them...But i guess i could get away with those in Reg as well...
The Diamana shaft in the 3 wood does feel nice though.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say your best swinging smooth as a wild swing will produce worse results more often so if the diamana works for you, the go with it.
Just an aside, all the posts I read from you, your either changing a piece of equipment or swing change or you've found something new, have you tried sticking with the same things for a time to see if they garner better results based on you getting used to things instead of constant change?
Im speaking as a tinkerer myself, so please don't take it the wrong way just I found that it worked for me.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say your best swinging smooth as a wild swing will produce worse results more often so if the diamana works for you, the go with it.
Just an aside, all the posts I read from you, your either changing a piece of equipment or swing change or you've found something new, have you tried sticking with the same things for a time to see if they garner better results based on you getting used to things instead of constant change?
Im speaking as a tinkerer myself, so please don't take it the wrong way just I found that it worked for me.

Again from a fellow tinkerer, I'm starting to think things are settling down for me now I've stopped spending money and after a few rounds and a good range session today so im happier with my game.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

No offense taken JT.....The longest things in my bag at the moment are my putter and irons which im never getting rid of......The 3 Wood actually cost me nothing as i traded an old i15 driver that was thrown in the corner and i sold my old Ping 3 wood to my brother...
So i lost on nothing......The Titleist is nicer than the Ping though i have to admit....

I soaked up a week of Freedie Couple's swing last week and when i tried to swing with that similar tempo last weekend i ended up winning....Might have been just pure chance but it did get me thinking.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
It never did Freddie any harm lol
I know that when I'm playing well I'm not feeling like I have to smash it, I just swing smooth.
I assume this is how you felt when you won. If you look at all the good swingers they never swing out of balance its all tempo and timing.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
It never did Freddie any harm lol
I know that when I'm playing well I'm not feeling like I have to smash it, I just swing smooth.
I assume this is how you felt when you won. If you look at all the good swingers they never swing out of balance its all tempo and timing.

Ya....Im in between swings at the moment...Just trying to find a happy medium.....My iron play is very strong but i struggle with the driver....Last week instead of standing a little too mechanical i just left everything nice and relaxed and swung nice and free....
I was swinging across the ball a little as i was standing more upright....Divots were going well left but the ball was only moving a few yards left to right also..This narrowed my misses down but i was taking more club than usual also....