Hybrid Loft Choice

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have decided to postpone the purchase of some new wedges until the end of the month.

I have therefore decided to go ahead with the purchase of a hybrid as the new set of irons I bought in December didn't come with one. The set I had before consisted of two hybrids a 4# and a 5#. My new set of irons have a 4 and 5 iron in there and so I am looking to either purchase a 3# or 2# hybrid.

The particular hybrid im looking at is the Nike VRS, purely on performance and also the price. The 2# has a loft of 18 degrees and the 3# has a loft of 21 degrees.

However, im stuck between which loft to opt for.....

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How far do you hit the clubs either side of them?

Tbh, I haven't hit my new 4 and 5 irons, the wrappers are still on them! I have been hitting my lower irons first over the last 3 weeks or so of having them.

With the last set I had, I used to hit 4# around the 190ish mark.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
avoid an 18 degree hybrid imho, you have a 4w which must be around 18 deg anyway

buy a 21 & 24 degree and ditch the 4 iron is my advice :thup:

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
avoid an 18 degree hybrid imho, you have a 4w which must be around 18 deg anyway

Yes you are correct. My 4w is 18 degrees.

I am very much tempted by the 21 degree hybrid which would compare to a 3 iron. This would also probably close the gap between my 4 wood and my current 4 iron.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went with 21 degree and tbh it was my easiest to hit club. try a few out though as there are so many different head designs etc

the old style Nike VR are very nice btw ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Almost agree.

I'd suggest 21 and 27? allowing you to leave both the 4 and the 5 in their plastic.
With hybrids, it's pretty easy to take a little off to manufacture an in-between distance.

Gives you much more opportunity at the other - scoring - end of the bag!:thup:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Everyone will be different. I have 3 rescues in the bag at the moment.

Started off with 17 and 24 and was carrying the 24 further than the 19 and 21 with more run out(not that I seen it with our wet summer). I changed irons and knew I would lose a bit if distance so added the 27 in. To fill the gap.

17 is a fairway replacement.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
they look full cavity, chunky monkeys

I had the last incarnation, great looking irons

Studying for a degree in Product Design, looks were a massive factor for me! In actual fact, I know of the designer of these and a few other Nike models, including the Sasquatch range aswell!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
getting back to your original question -

the obvious answer is to get the #3, and from there you can evaluate your irons, your success with this hybrid, and make an informed decision on whether to subsequently add the #2 and or #4

there's also a huge overfocus on the pure loft angles of H and I let alone W clubs - such comparisions are only really relevant within the same type of club and, in the case of H and I clubs, the particular model. Different models from the same manufacturer can be designed to deliver the same launch angle from different lofts - let alone the differences across manufacturers.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
getting back to your original question -

the obvious answer is to get the #3, and from there you can evaluate your irons, your success with this hybrid, and make an informed decision on whether to subsequently add the #2 and or #4

there's also a huge overfocus on the pure loft angles of H and I let alone W clubs - such comparisions are only really relevant within the same type of club and, in the case of H and I clubs, the particular model. Different models from the same manufacturer can be designed to deliver the same launch angle from different lofts - let alone the differences across manufacturers.

I see what your saying. Your the second paragraph is very convincing ;)