Hybrid Clubs

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have a pair of Mizuno hybrids 19&23 deg.
I love them and they are my go to off the tee when I need accuracy. Great ball flight and used in all sorts of situations. Tee / fairway / rough and dinks out from under the trees. probably the most used club in the bag after the putter …..

After years with cobra hybrid I too bought a pair of the Mizuno hybrids, same lofts. My mistake was believing the blurb applied to my swing and I bought them with the option for steel shafts
Had the shafts swapped out after a few months of frustration and put in TM graphite shafts (all the shop had) and it transformed my ability to hit the things!

Great go to clubs now

RichA

Visit site
I'm tall and just find them too flat. My irons are 2° upright.
With my normal iron stance they're an automatic slice.
If I really widen my stance so the hybrid sits nicely at address, I can't help but swing aggressively, sticking them way left.

4LEX

Visit site
Most people struggle with the lighter shaft and try to play them like they would a fairway wood. My advice is play a stiffer shaft than normal in them and hit down on the ball, play it like a 3-4 iron. The clubhead will do the work and fly it high.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most people struggle with the lighter shaft and try to play them like they would a fairway wood. My advice is play a stiffer shaft than normal in them and hit down on the ball, play it like a 3-4 iron. The clubhead will do the work and fly it high.
Obviously everyone's different but I've found heavier but regular flex shafts work best for me in a hybrid.
I remember being fitted for the original Callaway Apex hybrids
As I was a stiff flex in everything else we went straight to the KuroKage stiff..could barely get the ball airborne
Switched to regular, I think 75-80g, and they flew.
Use Epic hybrids with the regular Recoil shafts, about 75g again, they fly.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've a 2 hybrid, which is as good as a 2 iron for me. Easy to hit and use it off the tee on a few short holes to lay up to my pref distance and 2nd shots on a couple of the long par 4s and par 5s.
It's a Callaway xhot2 Pro with adila tour green shaft, even got a spare one. Best hybrid I've had. Also got a 23 I was using as my 3 iron, but dropped that since I changed my irons.

4LEX

Visit site
Obviously everyone's different but I've found heavier but regular flex shafts work best for me in a hybrid.
As I was a stiff flex in everything else we went straight to the KuroKage stiff..could barely get the ball airborne

That is probably down to the kick point on regular shafts helping add dynamic loft. Do you find it hard to control accuracy? You can get stiffer shafts that are light too, obviously they cost a bit more though! And ones with amore tip flex.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That is probably down to the kick point on regular shafts helping add dynamic loft. Do you find it hard to control accuracy? You can get stiffer shafts that are light too, obviously they cost a bit more though! And ones with amore tip flex.
Control not an issue..most of the time..
Tried lighter stiffer and they didn't really work either...
Probably my extremely dodgy swing..

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Alternative view... it might be the "hybrid" rather than "all hybrids" folk either love or hate!

Last year I went to a fitting to replace my aging 19 and 22 degree hybrids.... had my heart set on Titleist TS range... hit everything with a high weak fade, regardless of set up and shaft! ... tried the Pings, "Snappy McSnap-hook.... tried the TM SIM...totally different. A++ excellent.... in the bag they went. I was shocked by the difference.

gopher99

Visit site
I have had my A7 3&5 peanut hybrids in my bag since Sep 2009, they are basically cheat sticks. So easy to swing and hit I can’t even imagine hitting a 3 or 5 iron. Lowest iron in my set is a 6 iron.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm tall and just find them too flat. My irons are 2° upright.
With my normal iron stance they're an automatic slice.
If I really widen my stance so the hybrid sits nicely at address, I can't help but swing aggressively, sticking them way left.

Get adjustable ones.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I put Aldila standard graphite shafts for irons in 2 of my hybrids. Improvement over the Diamana red one of them came with. Bought the second as head only to do the same.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only adjustable ones I've seen go more flat rather than upright. Are there any?

I have TaylorMade M1 which has an upright setting, the sim2 (not the Max seems similar)

and Titleist 818 which has an upright setting

As far as I can tell they can be adjusted without changing loft. The Titleist has two options + 0.75 or 1.50 as well as being adjusted for loft and face angle.

Do a websearch on 'Titleist adjustment' and you will see the chart.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I struggled with hybrids but at my club fitting I was told it was because my recommended lie is 2° flat. I've found that the lies on different clubs vary, so I try to look for those with the flattest lie.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love my hybrids. Started off with TM Jetspeeds, which were great. Likewise my recent Titleist 816’s. Just upgraded to Ping G425’s and they are by far the easiest hybrids I’ve ever hit. Currently have a 4 and 5 hybrid. Great clubs!
I’m really struggling with my Ping G425 4h. Just not sussed how to hit it when I was sorted with my previous one - a Cleveland Launcher 3h. I’m trying to imagine it as just an iron but I’m not getting it at all. I’m think part of my confusion is visual. The Cleveland had a steel shaft, the Ping has a black (graphite?) shaft and so looks completely different to an iron. And I’m hopeless with it. But I guess I’ll sort it in time.