Hybrid Clubs

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find them really difficult to use. This rubbish about them being easy to hit is, er, rubbish. I get the odd strike right but mostly the ball can go in any direction. I'm now going to search for a 5 wood. Much safer option in my opinion

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find them really difficult to use. This rubbish about them being easy to hit is, er, rubbish. I get the odd strike right but mostly the ball can go in any direction. I'm now going to search for a 5 wood. Much safer option in my opinion

I got rid of Ping hybrid couldn’t hit it straight, got a Taylormade sim 9 wood goes 160-170 yards easiest club I’ve ever hit.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
I had trouble with my hybrids initially and I think it was mostly due to setup - in particular, I had the ball too far forward in my stance. I moved it back a little, more like an iron and now they’re probably the easiest, straightest clubs in my bag. You may have already tried this and if so, ignore me but it may be worth a little shot before you get rid.

Diamond

Visit site
I struggle with my hybrid when it is very wet, I tend to be steep into the ball so that may be why. When it is dry it is more consistent than my irons. My easiest club to hit is my 5 wood which has changed my game.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to have hybrids from 3 to 7 … now I only have a 4 and the 5,6 and 7 irons are back in the bag. I can hit the hybrids OK and a little further than the equivalent iron, but I cannot keep them straight … hence the return of the irons. I replaced the 3 hybrid with a 5 wood, and I have a 7 wood too … I find them really easy to hit.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just put my 5 and 4 hybrid back in my bag. My 3 hybrid has never come out. Just bought a new 5 wood as well.

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
I have a pair of Mizuno hybrids 19&23 deg.
I love them and they are my go to off the tee when I need accuracy. Great ball flight and used in all sorts of situations. Tee / fairway / rough and dinks out from under the trees. probably the most used club in the bag after the putter …..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Horses for courses

I used to hit 1- 5 irons really well when I practiced a lot but as my practice got less and less so did my ability with long irons diminished.

My initial change was a 19 TM mid to try out. Took some time to get used but stayed in the bag for years replacing the 3 iron. A few years ago the 4 and 5 were dropped and a 24 was put in the bag. I have had a 29 in the bag for a while.

I hit my rescues like an iron, ball then turf with a small divot rather than trying the sweep them.

One of the real benefits of having them I have found is that they are great out of fairway bunkers needing a little less precision than an iron and the wide sole stops the club from digging in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to struggle with hybrids, I chopped and changed a few different ones to begin with. First had one that was much too light, then I went too far the other way and had one that was a touch heavy. Finally tried the Ping G25 hybrids and all of a sudden I was able to hit them. They obviously just worked for me better than any other that I tried previously. So they've been in the bag for a few years now. I can't hit long irons so I had to persevere really. But I think you're right that people overstate how 'easy' they are to hit. You still have to find one that suits you.

That said, I have now replaced the longest hybrid with a 7 wood and I definitely find that even easier to hit. The 7 wood is a God-send. I am hoping that when I get my next iron set I'll be able to hit the 6 iron as well, so I'd only have one hybrid left in the bag, in the 5 iron replacement slot.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I have a G410 3 hybrid and a PXG 4 hybrid, both lofted up because I can be very streaky with them off the deck and it helps my confidence. I've been struggling with my driver recently and have found the Ping to be great off the tee, combining decent length and accuracy. If you think you are going to hit a club badly, more often than not you will. I think practice and commitment to the club/shot is the key.

RichA

Visit site
My iron play has improved recently. As that happened, my hybrid play has fallen apart - everything either hooked or sliced. They're back in garage and 4 and 5 irons are back in the bag.

robertrabbit365

Visit site
I had trouble with my hybrids initially and I think it was mostly due to setup - in particular, I had the ball too far forward in my stance. I moved it back a little, more like an iron and now they’re probably the easiest, straightest clubs in my bag. You may have already tried this and if so, ignore me but it may be worth a little shot before you get rid.

I second this, it looks like a wood so you feel you should play it like a wood. Put it too far forward and you will top it or spray it everywhere. Put it roughly in the middle and I find it goes really well out of both light rough and fairway. I do have to change my grip though, for some reason, and make it a little weaker or it goes off left.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I was contemplating replacing my 5i for a hybrid, as it was easily the worst club in the bag. As soo as I did the 5i started to go long and straight! Seems threatening a club with the naughty step works

Visit site
I’m practically of the view that hybrids should be banned because they’re so easy to use... Not being completely serious!!

Always borrowed hybrids from friends and hit them very well. Recently got my first hybrid in the bag and I almost can’t miss it. Bad swings, bad strikes, it always goes straight ?

I’ve joked that I should get a 2-5 hybrids in place of my 3-5 irons and I’d become a much improved player.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m practically of the view that hybrids should be banned because they’re so easy to use... Not being completely serious!!

Always borrowed hybrids from friends and hit them very well. Recently got my first hybrid in the bag and I almost can’t miss it. Bad swings, bad strikes, it always goes straight ?

I’ve joked that I should get a 2-5 hybrids in place of my 3-5 irons and I’d become a much improved player.
Why is that a joke? If you hit them better then why wouldn't you do that? As you've seen in this thread, they're not universally easier to hit for everyone, so if they are easier for you then surely it's a no brainer to put them in the bag?

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Love my hybrids. Started off with TM Jetspeeds, which were great. Likewise my recent Titleist 816’s. Just upgraded to Ping G425’s and they are by far the easiest hybrids I’ve ever hit. Currently have a 4 and 5 hybrid. Great clubs!