how to stay on plane?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Richie,

Look at Bobs diagram. The fault is the over the top motion which starts the ball left. Then there is a subconcious holding back of the release (where the hands turn over). This is natural, as a release would simply send the ball so far left.
First check that you are square to your target (use a club on the ground?) and you grip is neutral.
Bob has a point regards your hands coming out. This makes it so much harder to stay connected (feeling as though your arms and body swing in unison) so that you generate club head speed with rotation as opposed to 'flash speed'.
On the downswing, Bobs check point (horizontal)is spot on. You want the shaft pointing either at the target or a little right. On the downswing, be sure to move your right elbow into your side to acheive this. Stop at the horizontal position and check.
If you can get this move correct you are half way there. The ball will NOT start left if you get this bit right.
Then you have to work on your club head release. Otherwise the ball will start right (which shows you are no longer over the top) and go right (because you havent released the club head).
Work on this and post another video in a week or so.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something that might work.Put a club cover between the top of your leading arm and your body. Try and keep it there on your back and down swing. Should help casting at the top of the swing? I am no expert but it is something I do in my practice, to help grove swinging aroung rather than up and down if that makes sence.