how to stay on plane?

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
tried a nike sq2 machspeed st8fit black on max draw bias and i still slice like big stinking slicer

so as a result im putting off the st8 fit driver buy until i can hit my current ben sayers c-300 strait today highlighted that i cant just mask the slice with fancy tech

so please guys help!!

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
Richie, it may have been said before but lessons are the only way to cure your slice as technology can only assist you. If you have an ingrained problem with your swing you are not going to get to the bottom of it yourself (trust me i have been working on my swing for over two years now). £50 - £100 with a golf pro would give you a definite training programme to work towards and you will reap the benifits. Stop looking at the shinys and focus on yourself (hope im not coming on too strong but just advising spend your money wisely).

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i was dead set on buying the st8 fit driver until today when i tried it out set on max draw it still sliced right, at that moment it clicked that i cant buy fancy tech to try and cure my slice,

so im sticking with my current driver until i can hit that strait, the pro at american golf said i was coming off plane and on the down swing hiting over the top but he didnt offer tips on how to stay on plane

lessons are what i will get but i cant for another cpl of months, im playing a round tomorrow will get my mate to film my drives and will post them up so you can see what my swing is actually like. but for now i just asking for some general tips on how i can work myself in the cpl of months before lessons

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll bet good money you are out to in with the clubface open

cure12.jpg

All you have to do is fix the path and clubface and you will hit it straight.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I took up the game in my late 20's after playing years of cricket. I had the same problem in that I rely on my hand eye co-ordination and do not my golf swing. Here are just a few tips you may already know.....

1. First picture a footballer trying to curl a ball using the inside of his foot. This is how you want the club head to approach the ball.
2. Weaken your grip. If you are right handed make your stance and swing only using your left hand. On the downswing you will feel the club head come on plane. Trust this swing path.
3. When swinging make a full shoulder turn and start the downswing with your hips not your hands.
4. Another drill is to put your head cover underneath your right armpit and try and keep it there when swinging.

Am sure there are loads more drills others can help you with! Keep going and remember the longer the club the more it exaggerates the slice!

Enjoy :)

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
Bob, i have suffered with this myself at times, i know a miriad of causes can cause this but i seem to think that for myself it is my body swinging before my hands. is it right that you should not move your body until your hands are at hip height (a common cause of a slice?)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you can freeze the frame on the downswing when the shaft is parallel to the ground, it should be pointing straight. Yours is left, hence the slice.

Also watch the first move of the downswing...see how your hands move out?

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you can freeze the frame on the downswing when the shaft is parallel to the ground, it should be pointing straight. Yours is left, hence the slice.

Also watch the first move of the downswing...see how your hands move out?

how would i fix that cock my wrists to bring the club strait?

and instead of moving my hands out i should try and pull them in?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob, quick Q - If an amatuer golfer has a natural slice can this be changed to a natural straight/fade that can be maintained with little effort once its ingrained or is it something that can creep back in over time?

What I mean by that is does the player have to constantly overcome this natural weakness or can it be removed for good through proper coaching/practice early doors

I have lessons but find I do the drills then for some unknown reason revert back to old habits when on the course or after a short period of time, then find I have forgotten the drills or what it was that worked in the 1st place :(

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, quick Q - If an amatuer golfer has a natural slice can this be changed to a natural straight/fade that can be maintained with little effort once its ingrained or is it something that can creep back in over time?

Yes, it can be cured but with a lot of practice and it's worth a check up every once in a while.

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
im not exactly sure how to go about pulling them in :D

what im thinking is by pulling them in closer to my head on my back swing and as i extend through my down swing push my hands out in front of my body as if im reaching for the ball?