How to get those towering soft-landing iron shots

tobybarker

Visit site
Title says it all really....I hit the irons well enough to reach nearly every GIR but its stopping them I have trouble with....my 7 or 8 irons tend to be a little flat, which is exacerbated by our fast, hard linksy greens. I don't take massive divots. Is my attack angle just too shallow? Or do pros achieve it through pure clubhead speed?

D

Deleted member 29109

Not necessarily softer. Some balls spin more than others.

What ball and irons do you currently play?

Also. How clean are your grooves?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What ball do you play. If you just take the first thing that comes out of your bag you are never going to be consistent when it comes to spin.

To get good spin with mid irons one factor is about hitting the ball then turf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are there not two different questions here, not necessarily asked by the OP.

How to hit a towering iron and how to get spin on a ball?

The towering iron is probably about angle of attack. If you are shallow then it wont give the club a chance to use its loft correctly. That's probably a lesson or some online videos for you to look at.

Spin, that's just magical stuff ?. To be fair, if you are playing on a links course then spin is a mighty tough thing to achieve when the greens are hard.

tobybarker

Visit site
Thanks. I'll try to increase the angle of attack. I do keep the grooves clean. I use various balls, to be honest....I'm on Srixon yellows right now, but can't say I'm good enough (13hcp) to notice much of a difference. Its the height of the shot that I was particularly interested in. Thanks for the info

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Title says it all really....I hit the irons well enough to reach nearly every GIR but its stopping them I have trouble with....my 7 or 8 irons tend to be a little flat, which is exacerbated by our fast, hard linksy greens. I don't take massive divots. Is my attack angle just too shallow? Or do pros achieve it through pure clubhead speed?

Hit one less club.....

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try to increase the angle of attack. I do keep the grooves clean. I use various balls, to be honest....I'm on Srixon yellows right now, but can't say I'm good enough (13hcp) to notice much of a difference. Its the height of the shot that I was particularly interested in. Thanks for the info

Also.....maybe try the white Srixons......

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Maybe, but you have noticed that you are struggling to stop them. Technique is always number 1, but you didn't actually mention the type of ball, just a brand that makes all sorts of types.
If you are interested you can lose yourself in here for a while
https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

greenone

Visit site
I'd say club head speed is the important thing for a high ball flight. It's something I do naturally and I don't take divots.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Easiest way to analyse this is to get on a launch monitor and benchmark your performance: launch angle, ball/club speed, peak height and descent angle on good shots.

As a reference, e.g. my 6i is 27* and my good shot with it has the following parameters.

Launch angle: 19.9*
Spin: 5574
Descent: 48.6*
Peak: 36.2 yds

Ball speed:119.9mph
Club head: 91.7mp

Not saying those are best :) just giving a data point. A good fitter can help to establish what is the easiest way to achieve better results (clubhead/shaft/technique).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Angle of attack is only one part of it.
The loft you present to the ball is also important.
If you have the shaft leaning forward you will deloft the face.
A softer ball ( prov1 ) will spin if you hit it properly, not sure any Srixon could manage what a pro v can do.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Bull Bay would have originally been designed for running ball play so unless it's been hacked around by course re-designers you shouldn't need to hit towering iron shots.

When I played it the wind was a major factor too so I'd be looking to keep the ball down. :) Loved the course by the way.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You do not say which Srixon, if it is the AD333 then do not expect drop and stop except on very soft greens

if it Zstar or Qstar Tour then you can expect to get more spin

wjemather

Visit site
The quickest way to a higher ball flight with more spin is different shafts in your irons. Your pro should be able to help with a fitting.