how much lower would your handicap be if ..........

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You had fresh lush grass to hit off at your range using pro v1's
had a bloke with you thats got all your yardages and carries your clubs
have 5000 people on your hole to tell you where your ball is
have 5000 pepole flattening the rough
relief from most errant approach shots because of grand stands and tv towers
no moorons leaving bunkers with foot prints
relief from plugged balls in the rough.

I only mention this because one of the young pga graduates at the belfry was playing up in scotland and he said it makes for quite easy golf when you can slap a 3 wood over the brow of a hill and get directed to your ball. I recon i'd be 3 less than my handicap

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
buggy or caddie is worth 2 shots to me on anything but a short flat course - the rest will depend on the course :)

in practice, knowing (believeing) that your ball will be found tends to mean you swing better and don't need that resource (apparently)

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably a good few shots but it goes to show how good those top boys really are.

Rory was off -5 when he turned pro so that's some going when he's in the same boat as us......at that stage anyway.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
As Smange and myself were discussing the other day, Pros dont have internal OOB on their courses either, even if it exsits for amateurs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes it is nice getting relief from advertising hoardings etc, crowds finding the ball for you et al but at the end of the day it is about how quickly you get it in the hole and a lot of these guys on the lower echelons (Europro) simply don't do it often enough to earn a spot on the main tour and if they get there, keep it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the amount of shots saved by all the points in the OP......I think they'd be countered by being unable to chip from thick lush rough around the green, a minimum of 7k yds courses and those 5000 people listening to my knees knock whilst trying to swing properly (presuming alls equal with the "pro tour" scenario)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to mention
The course being 7,600 yards long
Greens running like polished lino
Being watched by thousands of people standing a few feet from every tee waiting to shout "geddindahole" the moment you hit the ball
Playing for your living instead of your handicap

I'd be cat 4 in no time. ;):D

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com

I only mention this because one of the young pga graduates at the belfry was playing up in scotland and he said it makes for quite easy golf when you can slap a 3 wood over the brow of a hill and get directed to your ball. I recon i'd be 3 less than my handicap

Tell you what. I'll organise 5000 people to come and watch you tee off and we will see how well you get on.
Also, I'll have a big fat cheque waiting for you if you can beat 100 other players with the same handicap as you.
And we will see how many times you don't rake the bunkers yourself or repair all your pitch marks, replace divots and count how many rules you inadvertantly break without realising.

The pros have it so easy...

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I doubt your handicap would be any lower. You still have to get the ball in the hole. And what you gain in some areas you more than lose in others like tough pin positions, longer courses etc.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tell you what. I'll organise 5000 people to come and watch you tee off and we will see how well you get on.
Also, I'll have a big fat cheque waiting for you if you can beat 100 other players with the same handicap as you.
And we will see how many times you don't rake the bunkers yourself or repair all your pitch marks, replace divots and count how many rules you inadvertantly break without realising.

The pros have it so easy...

Give me 5000 people i dont know over 20 odd lads i know stood on the patio with a pint in their hand praying for a disaster shot any day of the week :D

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very little if any on account of...

I don't go to the range that often and I don't see that using a proV1 would benefit that much at the range

That's what I have a trolley and GPS for

It's not often I lose balls in the rough

This would help a bit

It's not often my approach shots are that wild

I'm rubbish out of bunkers anyway

I don't remember the last time I had a plugged ball in the rough