How Many Penalties?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend posted up a video of a situation his playing partner (mate) was in at the weekend. His mate won by two shots. BUT, and in their defence they don't play much so don't know all the rules, but just how many penalties were incurred in the following situation. I said three. I'll try and post the vid later.

Players ball was close to water in red staked area. Player attempted to play ball and burried it deep into the bank. He rescued it and dropped the ball, without measuring, about two meters forward and closer to the hole, from where he'd dug the ball out. The ball was dropped from shoulder height. The player then lifted the ball (after it had been dropped) and wiped it on the grass nearby to clean it and then placed it back roughly where it was dropped.

Now this was just a knock not a comp. But one player had won by two shots over the other. But how many penalty shots should have been added after all the above?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend posted up a video of a situation his playing partner (mate) was in at the weekend. His mate won by two shots. BUT, and in their defence they don't play much so don't know all the rules, but just how many penalties were incurred in the following situation. I said three. I'll try and post the vid later.

Players ball was close to water in red staked area. Player attempted to play ball and burried it deep into the bank. He rescued it and dropped the ball, without measuring, about two meters forward and closer to the hole, from where he'd dug the ball out. The ball was dropped from shoulder height. The player then lifted the ball (after it had been dropped) and wiped it on the grass nearby to clean it and then placed it back roughly where it was dropped.

Now this was just a knock not a comp. But one player had won by two shots over the other. But how many penalty shots should have been added after all the above?

Were the burial in the bank, the dropping 2 metres forward, the lifting and the replacement all happening in the penalty area?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Still more information required - where did the ball last cross the edge of the penalty area when it last entered the penalty area?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I see it but open to challenge!

Players ball was close to water in red staked area. Player attempted to play ball and burried it deep into the bank. Permitted
He rescued it and dropped the ball, without measuring, There is no requirement to measure when taking relief but the ball must land in the correct relief area
about two meters forward and closer to the hole, from where he'd dug the ball out .The ball was dropped from shoulder height. Oops. That's not the correct relief area (I've assumed it was dropped forward of where it crossed the edge of the penalty area but Rulie is of course right in saying we need to know that) and the drop was incorrect. He gets the general penalty for that [see Rule 14.3b(3)] unless he corrects it before making his next stroke.
The player then lifted the ball (after it had been dropped) He is allowed to lift the ball before playing it in order to drop it properly so the above penalty not applicable.... yet
and wiped it on the grass nearby to clean it Cleaning the ball before re-dropping from knee height in the correct relief area seems ok to me
and then placed it back roughly where it was dropped. Oops, that doesn't correct either the drop or where it was dropped. When he makes a stroke from there the general penalty for an incorrect drop outside the relief area applies.

Add on the penalty stroke for relief from a penalty area [see rule 17] and that makes 3
I'm not seeing a DQ for a serious breach out of 2 metres nearer the hole, but you'd need to see the situation to be sure.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
As I see it but open to challenge!

Players ball was close to water in red staked area. Player attempted to play ball and burried it deep into the bank. Permitted
He rescued it and dropped the ball, without measuring, There is no requirement to measure when taking relief but the ball must land in the correct relief area
about two meters forward and closer to the hole, from where he'd dug the ball out .The ball was dropped from shoulder height. Oops. That's not the correct relief area (I've assumed it was dropped forward of where it crossed the edge of the penalty area but Rulie is of course right in saying we need to know that) and the drop was incorrect. He gets the general penalty for that [see Rule 14.3b(3)] unless he corrects it before making his next stroke.
The player then lifted the ball (after it had been dropped) He is allowed to lift the ball before playing it in order to drop it properly so the above penalty not applicable.... yet
and wiped it on the grass nearby to clean it Cleaning the ball before re-dropping from knee height in the correct relief area seems ok to me
and then placed it back roughly where it was dropped. Oops, that doesn't correct either the drop or where it was dropped. When he makes a stroke from there the general penalty for an incorrect drop outside the relief area applies.

Add on the penalty stroke for relief from a penalty area [see rule 17] and that makes 3
I'm not seeing a DQ for a serious breach out of 2 metres nearer the hole, but you'd need to see the situation to be sure.
Colin, I agree with your ruling(s). Without knowing where the ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area, the possibility of a serious breach of playing from a wrong place still exists.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin, I agree with your ruling(s). Without knowing where the ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area, the possibility of a serious breach of playing from a wrong place still exists.

Indeed it does. There is a possibility that the 2 metres forward put the player in front of the penalty area whereas the relief area was behind it requiring a shot over it. I confess I needed your prompt!