How many golf lessons would you recommend

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To me there are a few simple questions

1- how much time can you allocate to your golf for weekly practice as well as playing?
It's pointless having a lesson if you can only practice once a month

2- what level do you want to get to?
This kinda of goes hand in hand with number 1, if your shooting 100 and you want to shoot low 80's, I'd estimate a lesson every 6-8 weeks with a good range session at a minimum to groove the changes your pro has tried to make in the last lesson

3- why are you shooting 100
If you strike the ball relatively well, a course lesson with a decent golfer could well improve your scores just but a change in your course management

My ex boss what a key example of all three of the above. He played off 24 and had a game twice a month. He simply did not have any available time in his life to allocate for practice so lessons would not have helped, myself and his brother who plays off 5 had a few games after work over a few and we changed his approach to a round. He dropped to 17 i think but that's where he maxed out. He had simply found a level where he had no more time to invest but on good days was more than happy with sub teen scores.

If available time is no issue, our pro offers a great package , 4 x 30 min lessons and then a 9 hole playing lesson on the course for £100. This is ideal with one lesson every 4-6 weeks for me, but in days like Sunday I didn't play and had almost 3 hours at the range just working on stuff we had covered in the last lesson

I

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
When I took my first lesson I had the same issue. Irons started working and the driver stopped working. Figured out why. I was trying to the driver the same way I hit the irons. I was hitting down on the driver thus the ball was going stright up into the air. Simple set up change for the driver to encourage hitting with a positive aoa and i was back in the game.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To me there are a few simple questions

1- how much time can you allocate to your golf for weekly practice as well as playing?
It's pointless having a lesson if you can only practice once a month

2- what level do you want to get to?
This kinda of goes hand in hand with number 1, if your shooting 100 and you want to shoot low 80's, I'd estimate a lesson every 6-8 weeks with a good range session at a minimum to groove the changes your pro has tried to make in the last lesson

3- why are you shooting 100
If you strike the ball relatively well, a course lesson with a decent golfer could well improve your scores just but a change in your course management

My ex boss what a key example of all three of the above. He played off 24 and had a game twice a month. He simply did not have any available time in his life to allocate for practice so lessons would not have helped, myself and his brother who plays off 5 had a few games after work over a few and we changed his approach to a round. He dropped to 17 i think but that's where he maxed out. He had simply found a level where he had no more time to invest but on good days was more than happy with sub teen scores.

If available time is no issue, our pro offers a great package , 4 x 30 min lessons and then a 9 hole playing lesson on the course for £100. This is ideal with one lesson every 4-6 weeks for me, but in days like Sunday I didn't play and had almost 3 hours at the range just working on stuff we had covered in the last lesson

I

thanks for the advice

I am not certain myself massive targets although I would like to get down to shooting in the 90s all the time which I think is achievable. I am going to play once every 2 weeks and practice the other week at the range etc.

Course management is definitely something I can control. And I still have the mentality of hitting as long as I can all the time which I will change from my next round. Also I am going to focus on getting it one the safe part of the green then 2 putting. At the moment I go for the pin too much.

First lesson is booked for next week (45mins) and then I will have a follow up maybe 6 weeks later when I have played a few rounds and practised any changes recommended.

thanks again

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
thanks for the advice

I am not certain myself massive targets although I would like to get down to shooting in the 90s all the time which I think is achievable. I am going to play once every 2 weeks and practice the other week at the range etc.

Course management is definitely something I can control. And I still have the mentality of hitting as long as I can all the time which I will change from my next round. Also I am going to focus on getting it one the safe part of the green then 2 putting. At the moment I go for the pin too much.

First lesson is booked for next week (45mins) and then I will have a follow up maybe 6 weeks later when I have played a few rounds and practised any changes recommended.

thanks again

Good luck with it. Stick with the drills and don't panic on the course if it isn't quite going right. Don't be afraid to feed back to the pro and see if he can help