How many calories?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
In an attempt to regain my bikini figure, Im on a diet and have lost 3/4 stone in the last month. and as part of it im keeping a food diary.

I also need to input any physical activity I do, like gardening or sport and it gives you details of how many calories you burn over a given period.

I was interested to see that playing golf generally burns 357 cal per hour. Pulling your clubs is 446 per hour whilst carrying your bag is 491 per hour. (Why isnt Imurg sylph like)

so if im playing for 3 1/2 hours with my manual trolley im burning 1561 calories

Compare that to light cycling in the gym is 446 cal PH.

The figures seem a bit high to me, Does anyone have any other data.

At least I can justify a game to HID now :)

Fragger

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would imagine that it depends hugely on how fit you are to start with. If you are pretty fit, then you are going to burn a lot less calories, as you won't raise your heart rate at all.

For me, golf isn't exercise. I don't get the chance to walk fast enough.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fragged, alot would depend on your stats too, army golf vs regulation golf (fairways hit and greens) would surely be quite different. Army golf is good for you

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it very hard to believe that those figures are correct. That's around 3/4 of your minimum daily intake of calories burnt in 4 hours. If that was the case, there would be no overweight golfers.

I do think you can count it as genuine light exercise though, especially if you carry your clubs.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where did you get the figures from?

They do seem pretty high, but it depends how you look at it.

In a 3 1/5 hour round how much of that time is actually carrying the clubs? You may well have to subtract the time standing around or putting from the equation.
Light riding of a bike and golf are probably quite comparable though, but generally most people in a gym to get fit would be doing more than light riding. Assuming light riding is around 8-10mph and most people would work out doing 15-25mph depending on fitness level.

Also keep in mind that for the average bloke just being alive uses about 100 calories an hour, so you would have to take this off, to see what you're gaining from the exercise.

On the topic of fitness, it shouldn't have too big an effect. In fact if you define someone with muscle as fit, they will prob burn more calories, because their metabolic rate will be higher.

Another factor to consider is that whilst riding a bike in the gym, people don't tend to eat a couple of mars bars, have a can of coke and then a few pints afterwards. Plenty of golfers do this!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Army golf is good for you

But not good for your Golf!

Great news - burn up nearly 2000 calories carrying my bag so I can have a Pint and a Ham&Cheese Toasty after to put it back on again. :D

T

thecraw

I can guarentee you that there is no way in the world that golf burns more calories than light cycling.

No way Jose!!!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would think that is way too high. If I do 6 x 5 mins alternating between rowing machine, stepper and bike I burn 400-450 calories, there is no way I would burn close on to 500 in an hour playing golf.

T

thecraw

I would think that is way too high. If I do 6 x 5 mins alternating between rowing machine, stepper and bike I burn 400-450 calories, there is no way I would burn close on to 500 in an hour playing golf.

You would if you played at Port Bannatyne. On the first tee your issued with oxygen, crampons, a rope and walking poles, they also advise you hire a sherpa for your clubs.

http://www.portbannatynegolf.co.uk/index.shtml

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

You're exercising for 30 minutes - you're also not losing a anything but water for the first 15 minutes.

If you run 2.5 miles in 20 minutes - but walk 2.5 miles in 30 - you will lose more calories doing the walk.

Calorie counting is misleading, all bodies are different and some burn them quicker and with less effort than others.

I imagine walking a round of golf is good for you, especially if carrying, but as said before. If you're tucking into a bacon sarnie beforehand, piling coke or lager down your neck afterwards and polishing off 20 burners..... well, you can work that out.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me, golf isn't exercise. I don't get the chance to walk fast enough.

A good reason to have an electric trolley and only ever have it on full speed.

- - -

Golf is rubbish exercise. Even swimming can't get my heart rate up.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You're exercising for 30 minutes - you're also not losing a anything but water for the first 15 minutes.

Not sure where this idea came from, but you're definietly using calories from the start!

If you run 2.5 miles in 20 minutes - but walk 2.5 miles in 30 - you will lose more calories doing the walk.
This is a common misconception. You'll burn roughly the same amount of calories, yes.

If you walk, because of the lower intensity, you'll use more fat to supply those calories, rather than carbohydrate in the blood and muscles.

However this is often misunderstood too, with people thinking it's better to walk. You may as well run, because that way you'll burn the calories quicker, and you'll use the fat to replace the energy lost from the muscles anyway.

Calorie counting is misleading, all bodies are different and some burn them quicker and with less effort than others.

Yup, this is true and people need to be aware of how their body behaves. Government recommendations are very misleading as there really is no average person.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can guarentee you that there is no way in the world that golf burns more calories than light cycling.

No way Jose!!!

Why not?

A bike is a machine that is very efficient. Light cycling e.g 5-10mph would use far less energy than walking - let alone with a golf bag.

Now if you cycle at an average to fast rate, there is no way golf will take more energy, but light cycling - absolutely.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cycling at 5 mph is hard work. Builds up quite a sweat.

Mainly due to wobbling about, trying to maintain balance, due to cycling too flippin slowly.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A round of golf does keep you away from the bar / fridge for at least 3& 1/2 hours so theres a gain straight away :D

Seriously though I have been out a hell of a lot more this year (2-3 times a week compared to max once a week last year) , coupled with sensible eating but no diet as such and have lost quite a few pounds. I would put it down to the golf so maybe the figures are somewhere near.

I keep telling HID it's good for me. :p

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

No way Jose!!!

Why not?

A bike is a machine that is very efficient. Light cycling e.g 5-10mph would use far less energy than walking - let alone with a golf bag.

Now if you cycle at an average to fast rate, there is no way golf will take more energy, but light cycling - absolutely.
I wonder how much actual exercise you do in an hour of golf though? Half the time is usually spent waiting behind the slow-coaches in front. ;)