How is your club reacting to the new equality laws?

HogansAlley

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Putting all the (considerable) banter aside this is a serious issue and one which the EGU have been making clubs aware of for some time (>12 months).

It doesn't mean that you can't have differing levels of fees. It does mean though that you cannot say any particular structure is only available to certain groups. So, if you have a restricted membership category for ladies currently that's fine but you must allow men to take advantage of the same deal. Similarly you must offer full membership to women if some want to take advantage of that. Age is not a "protected characteristic" so there's no effect on junior/senior rates. It does get more complicated though when it comes to special deals to increase under represented groups.

Well worth a read as there will be so much cack talked about this subject I would be surprised if some clubs don't make some really poor knee jerk decisions.

Well said, mate. There will indeed be much 'cack' said on this issue.

However, I do believe - from reading the act - that senior rates will be affected if a strong case cannot be argued for said reduced rate. Essentially, if participation of any age group (25-35 at many clubs these days) needs to be encouraged - a reduced rate is perfectly lawful.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Will decent standard ladies be allowed to play off the yellows or white's.It seems only fair for them to be allowed too if off 18 or below

From my experience i have met some single digit ladies who can only play off the reds to their disgust while a man can chop it around off the whites

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
[quote

However, I do believe - from reading the act - that senior rates will be affected if a strong case cannot be argued for said reduced rate.

[/QUOTE]

Yup the reduced rate for seniors looks like it will go but the legislation regarding age related issues doesn't come in until 2012

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Will decent standard ladies be allowed to play off the yellows or white's.It seems only fair for them to be allowed too if off 18 or below

From my experience i have met some single digit ladies who can only play off the reds to their disgust while a man can chop it around off the whites

We have allowed ladies to go off any tees that the men can, if they want to, but only a few have done so. I didn't see anything from the EGU that covered this but the basis of this legislation is that you cannot discriminate against anyone, so,I would think that it will be up to the individual unless they are playing a competition where the rules will specify.

Chris

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love lady members.
The flower arrangements inside the clubhouse are amazing, and we have lovely hanging baskets on the outside too.
Men couldn't do that.

Two pints of Stella please Gladys