How do you get 4 golfers + bags + luggage in a hatchback ?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know this isn't "Top Gear" but can anyone give me some advice about car roof boxes? It seems impossible to fit 4 golfers WITH golf bags AND luggage into a reasonable sized 5 door hatchback without cutting limbs off, sitting on each others knees or wearing the same clothes for a week. Golf trip planned and don't want to take 2 cars....the environment, you know! Anyone out there managed it with a roof box? Will you get 3/4 sets of clubs in there?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to buy one of these buggers at Xmas but you are looking at a cost of £120+ and your fuel consumption will decrease by 25% due to drag. Save your lolly, get someone to agrre to taking their car and enjoy your golfing break.

Andy

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, Andy. They're certainly not cheap but at least you're only spending fuel on "one and a quarter" cars rather than two.

Also, and this is important, the chances of 2 drivers being sober enough each morning to move onto the next golf club/venue are usually slim, in my experience. Have you golfed in Ireland ?!

John

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definitely worth a thought but the Scotsman in me likes to see something for my money !..... and I'm needing a roof box for occasional use anyway. Just wanted to know which of these things are big enough. I go away for short weekend trips with 3 golfer friends regularly and the two car thing is never such fun, especially if you're taking the ferry!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Are you on a golfing break, or an experimental trip to see how uncomfortable four golfers could be if they tried to save money? Take two cars John.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know they look hideous but the citroen berlingo gets four people in and kit with ease because it's so wide the bags go width ways and then stack on top of each other

I wouldnt recommend owning one (unless you want to look like postman pat) but as a hire car they're good, not very expensive to rent and economical

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
we rented a ford c max on a golf holiday recently- fitted four sets and all the baggage in with ease plus there is loads of leg room in the back!