Hosel shots/J Arthur's/Tom Hanks

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Curious if there's anybody out there who regularly suffered with these coming back often and is now fully cured?

I don't mean got rid of a episode of them once, I mean where you've suffered with them and they've re-occurred and now you never get them?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure you are ever fully cured. Even the best players in the world still get them from time to time.

I found when i had them it was my flat in to out swing that course most of them. the odd one i get now is due to lifting my head up on the shot. There's a few different causes so you might get rid of the original, but do one of the others now and a again to cause a sherman

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year I had a few rounds where they were appearing. Turned out I'd over exaggerated the need for my swing to come slightly in to out, my downswing was so far inside the line. I bet I'll get them again one day for another reason. I think there are 100 reasons you could suffer, not just one.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I'm the same as you two so far. Add a very closed club-face on the back-swing to it too I really do present the hosel to the ball.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good drill is to place a ball quite close to the tee on the mat, then address the tee, swing and try and get back to hitting the ball. You can do it with 2 balls too, but if you're shanking you'll end up hitting both. I have a tendancy to get a bit shanky so do that drill quite often. Doesn't take long and strike begins to get more towards the toe rather than the hosel.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure you are ever fully cured. Even the best players in the world still get them from time to time.

I found when i had them it was my flat in to out swing that course most of them. the odd one i get now is due to lifting my head up on the shot. There's a few different causes so you might get rid of the original, but do one of the others now and a again to cause a sherman

Well I'm the same as you two so far. Add a very closed club-face on the back-swing to it too I really do present the hosel to the ball.

Ive changed my swing to more upright and neutral so hardly get them now, only when i lift my head or hip slide. no longer the swing

D

Deleted member 3432

I think its how you deal with them thats the important thing.

Often hit them when practicing, its a sign I'm hitting balls for the sake of hitting balls and not concentrating. I immediately stop at this point and finish the session which means I just forget about it happening.

Don't keep hitting balls as you end up hitting unmentionable after unmentionable.

I think I've hit about two on the actual course in 30 odd years of playing, practice ground can be dangerous....

U

User62651

Had them terrible for half a season once, once it's in your head its hard to get past. Many causes as pointed out already.

Mine was a primarily not leading with the hips, they were not clearing sufficiently in the downswing (sliding left instead of turning) so not enough room to get arms past body without the club plane moving out a little. Pro had me set up with left toes open pointing a little to left of straight ahead at address and I also worked on a drill I found that imagines your left hip being attached by a bungy cord to a wall behind you, at top of backswing you envisage the now taught cord pulling your hip back towards the wall to start downswing. Got my head starightened out and these measures seemed to help get the hips clearing better and although had a few since, never a dose of them again. Was despairing at the time.
My sole thought in practice swing especially with short irons is clearing the hips. A deep seated fear of sh**ks still resides however.

Last edited by a moderator:

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Had them terrible for half a season once, once it's in your head its hard to get past. Many causes as pointed out already.

Mine was a primarily not leading with the hips, they were not clearing sufficiently in the downswing (sliding left instead of turning) so not enough room to get arms past body without the club plane moving out a little. Pro had me set up with left toes open pointing a little to left of straight ahead at address and I also worked on a drill I found that imagines your left hip being attached by a bungy cord to a wall behind you, at top of backswing you envisage the now taught cord pulling your hip back towards the wall to start downswing. Got my head starightened out and these measures seemed to help get the hips clearing better and although had a few since, never a dose of them again. Was despairing at the time.
My sole thought in practice swing especially with short irons is clearing the hips. A deep seated fear of sh**ks still resides however.

I'm with you Maxfli. Mine keep returning and apparently it's different things causing them each time.
I cannot describe how bad it makes me feel and I'm just stunned I haven't quit so far. When I don't have them though I feel like a proper golfer and they always seem to sneak up on me when I'm playing the golf of my life.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with you Maxfli. Mine keep returning and apparently it's different things causing them each time.
I cannot describe how bad it makes me feel and I'm just stunned I haven't quit so far. When I don't have them though I feel like a proper golfer and they always seem to sneak up on me when I'm playing the golf of my life.

Yes, and Darren Clarke would probably agree with you!
He hit the pipe shot last week... and I remember him doing it in US Open many years back!

Last edited:

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Curious if there's anybody out there who regularly suffered with these coming back often and is now fully cured?

I don't mean got rid of a episode of them once, I mean where you've suffered with them and they've re-occurred and now you never get them?

Weirdly I do hit the odd one on the range but hardly ever on the course?!?!

Through the whole of last two seasons I've hit just one in competition, thankfully in Foursomes off a par 3 and went OOB.
My partner missed the green but I chipped it stone dead to win the hole anyway.
He mentioned my special tribute to Tom Hank in the clubhouse after and I'd completely forgotten about it!
strange game...

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Weirdly I do hit the odd one on the range but hardly ever on the course?!?!

Through the whole of last two seasons I've hit just one in competition, thankfully in Foursomes off a par 3 and went OOB.
My partner missed the green but I chipped it stone dead to win the hole anyway.
He mentioned my special tribute to Tom Hank in the clubhouse after and I'd completely forgotten about it!
strange game...
you won a par 3 with a triple bogey?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I had them - very, very bad (almost every single shot) - and now sorted. But like the alcoholic - once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. If I am not careful, and if I do not do what I know I must, then I can hit one. But we all can. I am just more vulnerable than other golfers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

This was me...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive changed my swing to more upright and neutral so hardly get them now, only when i lift my head or hip slide. no longer the swing

Yup - that's me.

The tell-tale sign for me spotted by my pro was that on starting my backswing I immediately took the club away 'outside the line' and then back way too flat - with very little hip turn. I was then bringing it right inside and hitting in to out - so for many years I hit a powerful low draw. And it worked - well. Until I stopped playing regularly for almost 8yrs - and my swing came out of it's 20yr groove. Except it wasn't a groove - it was a knife-edge. And of course I couldn't get my swing back on to that knife-edge. I had to start again with my pro - and have developed a much more upright swing with a neutral and much higher ball flight. And at first I had to really concentrate on getting a hip-turn on take away.

It's still there - instantly - if I let myself 'swing of old'. So I'm working on the thought process that stops me doing that - that keeps me on my 'new swing'

And even when playing well and off 6 h/cap - if I went to the practice ground and started 'trying things' - then very quickly I'd start hitting the unmentionables. I couldn't fix things as I just didn't know my swing - so I stopped practice immediately. This was because - as I now know - in 'trying things' I took my swing off it's knife-edge - and kaboom!

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure they are ever cured. Always lurking in there somewhere

It's just a bad shot, caused by technique, now and again if I'm working on my swing at the range I might hit one but never twice in a row. The secret is to not let it bother you, you should treat every bad shot as water off a ducks back. It's gone. You can only control what happens next nit what's already happened. If you shank the ball regularly you have bad technique. Go see a pro, sort the problem out and think about hitting target on your next shot, not about the shot where you missed target. Pointless thinking.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's just a bad shot, caused by technique, now and again if I'm working on my swing at the range I might hit one but never twice in a row. The secret is to not let it bother you, you should treat every bad shot as water off a ducks back. It's gone. You can only control what happens next nit what's already happened. If you shank the ball regularly you have bad technique. Go see a pro, sort the problem out and think about hitting target on your next shot, not about the shot where you missed target. Pointless thinking.

I never worry. I know my root causes and rarely hit them on the course, and only hit them on a range if I get lazy with technique or I'm in the midst of trying something from a recent lesson

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I never worry. I know my root causes and rarely hit them on the course, and only hit them on a range if I get lazy with technique or I'm in the midst of trying something from a recent lesson
Shouldn't really matter if you get lazy with technique, if you have a decent swing it should just be natural and produce pretty similar results all the time not saying your always going to be flushing it but it shouldn't be so bad it's shanking lol