Horn Of Africa Appeal

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
So Chris661,
How much is a human's life worth? Child or adult? How much is YOUR life worth Chris661?
If you donated £20 and only 50p got through and that gave a child enough water to survive, or a drug to stop their diarrhoea, isn't that a good thing?

What on earth are you talking about? :D

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not geting invoolved in what is right or wrong here guys so im reading both sides with an open mind .. i can understand both sides, as a father with kids the thought of them been sick or hungry is a killer so i understand the givers .. it appears the main gripe of the guys that il call the NON givers is that they & other people have been giving for years & years & nothing changes they are objecting to the people who are creaming the most of the donations away from the people who need it .. Dont know the answers but i do know if there was an abundance of oil in these countries then the BIG governments would intervene..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Plenty of oil in Nigeria, and it is still a shambles. The Nigerian government just trouser the money into swiss accounts for themselves, and the people still struggle. And Nigeria is one of the better run countries.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plenty of oil in Nigeria, and it is still a shambles. The Nigerian government just trouser the money into swiss accounts for themselves, and the people still struggle. And Nigeria is one of the better run countries.
Wasnt aware of that murph so apologies on that .. wouldnt know much about the economics of these countries . just appers that people dont mind giving to charity if the charity gets all or most of the donation or the country takes the help & tries to improve their own circumstances .. never been to one of these places so probably can never understand the hardships they endure ..

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great isn't it Chris661?
I ask you a question and you come back with a dismissive one-liner. You're smart!!!!!
So if you don't mind answer the question please.

I cant put a value on a life and neither can you. Also show me where I did put a value on a life please. All I asked was if people were happy to donate money and 1p in the pound reached the people that needed it, yet no one answered it. Instead of coming on here and trying to stir some sort of trouble, answer the question please.

Vincent

Club Champion
Visit site
It is not ideal but if it is the price to save people then maybe it is. That is a personal call. Nevertheless 99% loss on a donation is an extreme and if you research properly, then you can make your £1 stretch a lot, lot further.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
So where does the other 99% of your donation go? Fancy Oxfordshire headquarters? Massive salaries for chief executives? I don't think that is acceptable it is supposed to be a charity after all, why do they need fancy headquarters? That is the point I was making if people want to donate then fine do it, but don't have a go at people whose view differs from you.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't had a go at anybody. It is you who seems to be throwing your toys out...

Hey ho. Never mind.

Look back at your post asking me about the value of a life, I would class that as having a go.

So I answered your question and now "I am throwing the toys out". Yet still my question goes unanswered.

As you so eloquently put it hey ho never mind.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wasnt aware of that murph so apologies on that .. wouldnt know much about the economics of these countries . just appers that people dont mind giving to charity if the charity gets all or most of the donation or the country takes the help & tries to improve their own circumstances .. never been to one of these places so probably can never understand the hardships they endure ..

Nigeria also has the worlds largest Guinness production plant outside Dublin. The place isnt all doom and gloom. Thats like watching a documentary on the slums in Brazil or India and saying all of their country is like that.

Politics and corruption hinder charity, if the governments got their fingers out, the likes of Ethiopia would be the largest and most fertile country on the African continent which could support itself and export massive amounts of food to Europe, sadly as it is ran like a communist state this will never happen and its resources are wasted.

People can choose to donate, it is their money. I believe that charity starts at home and the likes of Marie Curie and the miscarriage charities are more deserving as I/my family have had assistance from both. Donating money into a bottomless pit is a waste in my eyes, if the countries did try to drag themselves into the 21st century then they would be more deserving (governments that is, its not the peoples fault when they are ruled by machine gun and not the ballot box).

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I think the point about 99% of donations being syphoned off is very extreme. There may be a lot of rogue charities out there but most of the big well organised charities take between 15-20% for admin and the run of the company, wages, advertising etc. Children in need and red nose day take nothing. The facts are that if the charities did not advertise then people would not donate so to get donations they must spend money on tv campaigns.

The staff and management of charities like Oxfam are very good at what they do. They have a lot of high street shops and affective advertising campaigns. If the managers and directors are good in business they deserve to be paid for these skills. If they could make a very decent wage in the public/private sector then why should they be dammed trying to do the same job but for a charity?