Home made driving net help

clarkyonline

Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here so hopefully you can help me in my quest.

Im looking at building my own driving net at home and wondered if anyone knew of a decent netting supplier.
The only ones i can find are commercial suppliers who are charging a fortune. Im making a 3m x 3m x 3m cage (like the ones you find next to the 1st tee on some courses) The frame work isnt an issue in finding materials but the netting is proving tricky (tricky to not spend a lot of money)

If anyone has done this themselves or has some intelligent workarounds then please let me know.

It needs to be pretty tough as it will mainly be used for long irons and woods as i have a short golf hole to hit wedges etc. Maybe if the netting wasn't high grade then 2 layers would work? thoughts?

Any help or ideas on getting hold of some netting would be great.

Thanks in advance

Paul

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Would one of them blue plastic sheets work? You can pick them up for hardly anything. Not sure what sound it would give off but a cheap option which should do the same job.

clarkyonline

Visit site
im pretty sure the balls would rip straight through no? ideally i want a green net so it doesnt look hideous when i look out onto the gardens.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
im pretty sure the balls would rip straight through no? ideally i want a green net so it doesnt look hideous when i look out onto the gardens.

Hmmm maybe with the blue sheet over time but surely a thick bed sheet could work and a plain black one would probably look better than a net. Like I said I'm not sure if it would work but I'd give the sheet a try.

clarkyonline

Visit site
Yeh the sheet could work. The frame is going to be a permanent fixture though so maybe the bed sheet would get mouldy over time. Especially in this country! I'd have to replace it every couple of weeks. Great idea though for a short term plan.

clarkyonline

Visit site
Have you got a range mat as I'm sure they are very expensive around £400/£500 I think I saw them.

yeh ive a got a full size range mat thankfully. Cost me £40 from a range i use. They'd just replaced them all with the new auto feed ones so snatched one up while i could.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeah I would probably look tatty over time but a quick fix till you find something more permanent and worth a shot as it will be cheap.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I used scaffold debris netting and it was very good , i did make the mistake of doing too good a job and having it too tight over the frame , found that out when i shot a ball straight through it with the driver . But double it up and have it quite loose and its very good

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seriously think you will struggle without a proper net. A well hit drive can go in excess of 170mph. I know it's not the cheap alternative you were looking for, but I went to Networld Sports. They do the size of net that will fit your frame, with all the corners in all the right places. (I have no connection to this company). One thing I didn't consider was a baffle. A loose hanging net that takes all the speed out of the shot. Very important and also has the added benefit of saving wear on the main net. Good luck.