Hitting fat and too steep.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
From playing well I've now started to hit many iron shots fat, and I mean 7-10 inches behind the ball fat:eek:

Even a 3 iron was rifled 20 yards while the divot soared beyond it.

Chip shots are thinned and drives are occasionally heely.

Over to you experts for the common causes and the cure please.

Stance alignment all checked and ok, grip good and neutral, club starts with head outside hands. Its all going Pete tong from halfway back I figure?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a coach but when i had the same problem it was down to a latteral movement away from the target on rhe back swing and i stayed back on the downswing. This meant my low point was way behind the ball

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not a coach but when i had the same problem it was down to a latteral movement away from the target on rhe back swing and i stayed back on the downswing. This meant my low point was way behind the ball

This too.
Whenever my ball striking goes to pot, it's usually swaying that is the main culprit.
Make a determined effort to keep your right side a bit "firmer" on the takeaway and it should (should) solve some of your problems.
;)

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could also be because your not getting your weight forward enough, on your left side if you are right handed.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said, almost certainly lateral movement. This was a real fault of mine. Have someone film your swing and you'll probably see it.

A good drill is to put the ball a few inches forward of your normal position and do half swings at about 50% power just focusing on keeping the head still. Don't worry about where the ball goes, just try and clip it off the ground with the club. After a while move the ball to normal position and do the same, half swings, half power then slowly start to build up the swing and the power, all the time focusing on keeping the head still.