hinged wrists

leonneab

Medal Winner
Visit site
When do i start to hinge me wrists when playing iron shots on the back swing?

Do i hinge them as soon as i take the club away from the ball or do i wait until i am completly rotated at the top of my swing before hingeing them?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a word of warning! I use to make a deliberate hinging of the wrist. Only to find they collaps at the top of the swing. Now I take away in one piece and let the wrists look after them selfs as with me it seems to happen natually. My clean strike rate has gone from 85-90percent to about 98 percent.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a word of warning! I use to make a deliberate hinging of the wrist. Only to find they collaps at the top of the swing. Now I take away in one piece and let the wrists look after them selfs as with me it seems to happen natually. My clean strike rate has gone from 85-90percent to about 98 percent.

This is me too, other than the 98% bit.

Also, you ideally want your wrists to unhinge as late as possible in the downswing.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Do i hinge them as soon as i take the club away from the ball or do i wait until i am completly rotated at the top of my swing before hingeing them?

exactly when is up to you, however a good check point would be to have them 'set' or hinged at the 90 degree mark when your left arm is parallel to the ground on the takeaway

A

Alex1975

exactly when is up to you, however a good check point would be to have them 'set' or hinged at the 90 degree mark when your left arm is parallel to the ground on the takeaway

This is what I have been told, they should be 90* when your arms are at 9 oclock... I am just repeating what he said aren't I, I seem to have been late to every post this morning!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends which type of shot you are playing.
An early wrist hinge would promote a steeper take away, suitable for short irons and wedges whereas a later hinge would give you a wider arc which would suit a longer iron/woods/driver.

A

Alex1975

Depends which type of shot you are playing.
An early wrist hinge would promote a steeper take away, suitable for short irons and wedges whereas a later hinge would give you a wider arc which would suit a longer iron/woods/driver.

Hmm very interesting, thanks.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting example... had a couple of lessons with my pro, who said I was overswinging just beyond parallel. To try to get me to shorten the backswing, he told me to hit some shots with absolutely no wrist break at all. When he played back the video, I though it was the wrong clip. The video showed the club getting just to parallel, with wrists breaking. He was chuckling away to himself... his point is that it's imossible to swing with no wrist break, but that it takes care of itself, without the conscious effort.

Try this as a drill, it may help. And one less swing thought to worry about!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was chuckling away to himself... his point is that it's imossible to swing with no wrist break, but that it takes care of itself, without the conscious effort.

Absolutely :) !!!!
And in fact, it will give you more control and accuracy than if you are trying to cock them.

Damn - that's my secret advantage gone