Hillside, S & A or West Lancs

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hillside all day long for me. S&A is good, but you'll be looking longingly at Hillside when you play. West Lancs is (in my opinion) a goat track compared to the other 2. But I had a shocker last time I played there, so my opinion may be biased.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hillside all day long for me. S&A is good, but you'll be looking longingly at Hillside when you play. West Lancs is (in my opinion) a goat track compared to the other 2. But I had a shocker last time I played there, so my opinion may be biased.

West lancs isn't a goat track, but you did play it like a goat.:whoo:

Hillside and S and A are a good bit better than Royal St davids, West lancs is better also, IMHO.

There has been a NW meet at Formby recently and some are looking to get fourballs together, so search under Formby winter league challenge and you'll see some of the boys and gals looking to play it. It's well worth £55.

Edit:here it is - http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...olf-club-Sunday-3rd-November&highlight=formby

Wallasey is up there with west lancs and s and a.

Heswall and Caldy are also good courses.

Do you use St. Michaels as your own personal driving range?;)

Last edited:

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you use St. Michaels as your own personal driving range?;)

LOL

Good old St Mikes.

The infamous chemical ditch and the galugu coming up through the 18th fairway.

Have to admit, I spent many a happy hour on there.

But was always a bit bothered about putting one on the Speke road.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
LOL

Good old St Mikes.

The infamous chemical ditch and the galugu coming up through the 18th fairway.

Have to admit, I spent many a happy hour on there.

But was always a bit bothered about putting one on the Speke road.

Yep, many happy hours on there myself, but enough about dogging..

I used to love playing St. mikes when not playing well, as a good low score was always possible.

I remember seeing a woman letting her kids play in the stream........it was purple that day.........them kids might be playing for the vikings now. Easy to catch a ball with 7 fingers, I can imagine.:eek:

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep, many happy hours on there myself, but enough about dogging..

I used to love playing St. mikes when not playing well, as a good low score was always possible.

I remember seeing a woman letting her kids play in the stream........it was purple that day.........them kids might be playing for the vikings now. Easy to catch a ball with 7 fingers, I can imagine.:eek:

Must have had Permanganate in it that day.

Chlorine green and Sulphur yellow where other permutations.

Something to be avoided.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Went with the concensus and did Hillside today.

Thoroughly enjoyable, even on a grey December day.

Seventh is currently out of commission, looks like bunker work, so there's a temporary hole after the first and the original second tee has been moved forward.

Hit it reasonably by my standards (shot 88) and as an added bonus, never got wet.

Thanks to anyone who replied.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Vikingman, i am a member at Leasowe so can sign you in any time you are in the area, i have finished work today and i`m not back in till 6th January so if you fancy a game let me know.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I enjoyed the front 9 at West lancs but it lost its way on the back 9 and was far less linksy for me. Club wasn't very welcoming, Pro was ignorant and there was a good few of us from here, possibly 16-20 who couldn't get food afterwards as they closed the kitchen, won't hurray to go back!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Vikingman, i am a member at Leasowe so can sign you in any time you are in the area, i have finished work today and i`m not back in till 6th January so if you fancy a game let me know.

You need snorkels and flippers at the moment though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Its £220 for a fourball at the moment (winter rate) including weekends. If you can pick yourself a good day its well worth it :thup:
Im still not sure if I prefer Formby to Hillside, its a close call.

A reasonable question. I preferred Hillside. Not played S&A but only heard good things about it. West Lancs is very good too, maybe just not quite up to quality of Formby.

None of them will disappoint. And nor would Wallasey!