Hillside, S & A or West Lancs

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
First post guys so be gentle.

Looking at doing one of Hillside, Southport & Ainsdale or West Lancs next week.

Any advice on which one to play would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 17920

Welcome to the forum, stick around and get stuck in! Haven't played any but I am guessing most here will say hillside :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello fella, welcome to the forum

If money is not the criteria for you - Hillside on toast.

S and A is a cracking course, West Lancs also (and more windy), but Hillside is fantastic.

Stand on the 11th tee and it is one of the best holes in golf. The back 9 is right up there in the top 5 of all courses in the UK, if you don't believe be, ask Greg Norman who said it is one of the very best in the world.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello fella, welcome to the forum

If money is not the criteria for you - Hillside on toast.

S and A is a cracking course, West Lancs also (and more windy), but Hillside is fantastic.

Stand on the 11th tee and it is one of the best holes in golf. The back 9 is right up there in the top 5 of all courses in the UK, if you don't believe be, ask Greg Norman who said it is one of the very best in the world.

Hello and welcome, can't argue with any of this. ^^^

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Winter midweek rates on West lancs and S & A seem to be around £60. Need to check out Hillside.

Daft as it sounds, although these are virtually on my door step I've never played them.

Have always tended to go a bit further a field.

Done places like done Aberdovey, St Davids and my personal favorite to date, Silloth.

Any idea how these compare with the Lancs courses?

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Winter midweek rates on West lancs and S & A seem to be around £60. Need to check out Hillside.

Daft as it sounds, although these are virtually on my door step I've never played them.

Have always tended to go a bit further a field.

Done places like done Aberdovey, St Davids and my personal favorite to date, Silloth.

Any idea how these compare with the Lancs courses?

I'm at Blundells Hill by the way.

Played Silloth in May this year and loved it.

Played Hillside a couple of months later and was blown away! As Liverbirdie says, the back 9 are as good as you'll find anywhere.

I played like an utter weapon at Hillside but easily one of the best courses I've played. Better than Silloth by a good bit IMO

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hillside is stunning, but if you do play there ask them which tees Youll be off. In winter they can drop the yellows down to where the reds usually are and as most of the tees are elevated and on different levels you might find yourself feeling a little cheated, especially after paying £65.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Wirral is another part of the region I've not bothered much with.

I've done Wallasey and Caldy a few times but any recommendations on Leasowe, Heswall, Bromborough etc.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Hillside is the best by a mile. The back 9 is a good as it gets really. Have you considered Formby? another quality course

Heard very good things about Formby but reckon I'd be looking at around £90 (believe its a day rate).

To pay that much I'd want to do 36.

But to do 36 without getting tired I'd need a buggy.

So thats another £40 or so, assuming they do buggies.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Heard very good things about Formby but reckon I'd be looking at around £90 (believe its a day rate).

To pay that much I'd want to do 36.

But to do 36 without getting tired I'd need a buggy.

So thats another £40 or so, assuming they do buggies.

Its £220 for a fourball at the moment (winter rate) including weekends. If you can pick yourself a good day its well worth it :thup:
Im still not sure if I prefer Formby to Hillside, its a close call.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO Hillside top by a long way, S&A next and West Lancs 3rd. The only thing i'd add is that the welcome at Hillside and S&A are superb, West Lancs didnt really seem to want visitors and the welcome was a little unfriendly to say the least.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hillside is a rasper and my favourite along that coast.

S&A is a cracker too but hillside is better.

West lancs is nice but has 3or 4 poor holes.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Its £220 for a fourball at the moment (winter rate) including weekends. If you can pick yourself a good day its well worth it :thup:
Im still not sure if I prefer Formby to Hillside, its a close call.

Thats not too bad but I suspect it would be a special discounted rate for a fourball and I reckon there will only be a couple of us.

Formby site is a bit vague.

Just checked Hillside, they are asking £60.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats not too bad but I suspect it would be a special discounted rate for a fourball and I reckon there will only be a couple of us.

Formby site is a bit vague.

Just checked Hillside, they are asking £60.

If you're not off some crazy forward tees as Qwerty says then Hillside is worth every penny of your £60...