Help with my irons.

LukePgolfs

Visit site
I have the p790s can I believe I hit them to far... I like the forgiveness but the gap between my pitching wedge and my 50 is roughly 20-30 yards depending on the day. would it be smart to deloft my irons? I do spin the ball a lot but I am skilled enough to use different shots and am smart with course management.the reason I ask is I would like some more control of my distances as of right now I can hit my 7iron 170-180 but when i step on it I get up to 190-200 and I simply think closing in on those gaps will help my game.

Jason.H

Visit site
Distance control is a valuable skill. I’ve noticed myself this time of year when the fairways firm up my usual numbers go out the window. A slight tailwind can mean 2 clubs less than normal because it’s getting a hard bounce ect. I wouldn’t be altering lofts , rather practice 3 quarter shots which has helped me a lot. I also move my hands up or down the grip slightly to add or take off a few yards.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have the p790s can I believe I hit them to far... I like the forgiveness but the gap between my pitching wedge and my 50 is roughly 20-30 yards depending on the day. would it be smart to deloft my irons? I do spin the ball a lot but I am skilled enough to use different shots and am smart with course management.the reason I ask is I would like some more control of my distances as of right now I can hit my 7iron 170-180 but when i step on it I get up to 190-200 and I simply think closing in on those gaps will help my game.
790 PW is 45*, so maybe you need to adjust your wedge to something starting at aound 48 - depending on whether you use 2 or 3. Delofting your irons is the wrong approach as that's what TM has done and caused the issue. If anything (and I wouldn't recommend it), the lofts should increased.
Basically, your 7 iron is equivalent of a 6 or 5 (though 7 iron weight) from a few years ago - and your PW is equivalent to an old 9/8! It's a 'trick' OEMs have been using for many years, as the 'definition' of irons is really based on weight!

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely leave the P790's as they are, the numbers on the bottom mean nothing really as you just have to know how far each club goes for you. It's a pain that you probably will have to alter your bag at the wedges stage and bridge the gap between the PW and the SW etc. If the gap is not too much you could get a pro to bend them I guess. It's a problem that always occurs when you buy new iron sets as I've found too.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If the 790 PW is 45°, then I'd look to match the gaps down the wedges rather than mess about with all the iron lofts.
So AW/GW of 50°, SW of 55° and LW of 60°. You should then have suitable gaps all the way through the bag.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the 790 PW is 45°, then I'd look to match the gaps down the wedges rather than mess about with all the iron lofts.
So AW/GW of 50°, SW of 55° and LW of 60°. You should then have suitable gaps all the way through the bag.
As per opening post he already has a 50 and finds the gap too much

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The issue is probably that the face on the 790 PW at 45* is pretty hot and the ball pings off it rather speedily, whereas the 50* wedge is not as hot, so the practical gap between the two is greater than 5 degrees. Agree that the TM AW might fit the bill, or at least move the problem down to the gap with the next wedge.

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
The issue is probably that the face on the 790 PW at 45* is pretty hot and the ball pings off it rather speedily, whereas the 50* wedge is not as hot, so the practical gap between the two is greater than 5 degrees. Agree that the TM AW might fit the bill, or at least move the problem down to the gap with the next wedge.
This.