Help to reduce handicap, financial reward not given

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Last year I set myself a target to get a handicap of less than 28. To some this may seem simple but I'd never ever held a club before and only started to practice in March 2010, First game was in May 2010. I submitted my first 3 cards and got given a handicap of 25.

Since then I have only played in 1 comp, but am going to dedicate my weekends to Comps this year. With that in mind I have several targets.

• Reduce 3 putts to <1 for each 54 holes.
  • Reduce the ferocity of my slice to a fade at most.
  • Learn my distances for my all my clubs in bag.
  • Practice at least 3 times per week.
  • Improve my cardio and strength fitness to help with all the above, and improve my concentration levels throughout the rounds.
  • Drink at least 3 pints after each comp

At present I dont have a driver, and hit my 3 wood an average of 215 yards. My 6 Iron 140, and PW 110. I want to put at least 10 yards on each of my clubs, and improve my dispersion to <20yards.

Am I being unrealistic, I can get to the range and manage the cost of 300 balls a week, and get in the bunkers and greens etc at the club for another 3 hours a week.

Any advice for a practice regime would be greatly appreciated, and at the end of the year, I'll invite everyone to laugh at my expense if I fail miserably.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can get to the range as much as you say im sure the hp will tumble.The key is to have a structure and a target to aim for.I would also read some books,watch a few videos and pick a couple of ideas and try them.If you can afford a lesson to start with that would be good,because you need to get the basics right,grip allignment,ball position.Also remember quality is better than quantity,so instead of hitting 100s of ball,cut that back a bit and be constructive,it will also save you money.good luck

kinhell

Head Pro
Visit site
Make sure your pre shot routine is the same EVERY time. Never ever let that slip. Always pick a spot on the fairway to aim for and keep that in your mind as you go through whatever routine you decide on. Getting a pro's advice on your grip is imperative as it will be the main cause of your slice.

I changed my grip last September and it took a few weeks of getting used too but it made a massive difference in keeping the ball straight.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice is have some lessons and make sure the basics are right and then keep checking them everytime you go to the range. If you can start the right way then there is less chance of ingrained faults becoming permanent. Work with your pro to decide what needs work on to reach your goals and practice the drills he gives you

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Getting a pro's advice on your grip is imperative as it will be the main cause of your slice.

I changed my grip last September and it took a few weeks of getting used too but it made a massive difference in keeping the ball straight.

i couldnt agree with this enough, i had a strong grip that coused a strong draw / hook at times that was getting uncontrolable. after 3 lessons (1 on grip, 1 on swing plane and one as a brush up on both) my hook is almost gone on my long game, and im now getting confident enough to play for fades or draws where needed, this is becoming a major bonus where shaping of shots can be really helpfull on our course.

this season ive committed to a lesson every month.

your pro will give you drills to use on the range, and these will bed in changes thats he making, but my biggest advise would be if it doesnt work at the start, stick with it as he knows what hes working towards, and work on that sort game.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last year I set myself a target to get a handicap of less than 28. To some this may seem simple but I'd never ever held a club before and only started to practice in March 2010, First game was in May 2010. I submitted my first 3 cards and got given a handicap of 25.

Since then I have only played in 1 comp, but am going to dedicate my weekends to Comps this year. With that in mind I have several targets.

• Reduce 3 putts to <1 for each 54 holes.
  • Reduce the ferocity of my slice to a fade at most.
  • Learn my distances for my all my clubs in bag.
  • Practice at least 3 times per week.
  • Improve my cardio and strength fitness to help with all the above, and improve my concentration levels throughout the rounds.
  • Drink at least 3 pints after each comp

At present I dont have a driver, and hit my 3 wood an average of 215 yards. My 6 Iron 140, and PW 110. I want to put at least 10 yards on each of my clubs, and improve my dispersion to <20yards.

Am I being unrealistic, I can get to the range and manage the cost of 300 balls a week, and get in the bunkers and greens etc at the club for another 3 hours a week.

Any advice for a practice regime would be greatly appreciated, and at the end of the year, I'll invite everyone to laugh at my expense if I fail miserably.

Stevelev: Can you remember what your 3 scores were when you got your handicap of 25?

Cheers Kev

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Have you had any lessons yet?

Hi Bob

I had 3 lesson with the pro at our club, and the advice he gave me ruined what progress i was already making, he only wanted me to reconstruct my swing to what a text book would show. Prior to a lesson with him, i was hitting most shots pretty much arrow straight, with about 2 in 10 a strong fade. Also when I asked what i should do to practise he just said go the range and keep practising what he changed.

Its taken me 3 months to get rid of what he shown me, and after speaking to others they said they saw a seteriation in their games after having lessons from him.

I had one lesson with another pro, who got me shifting my weight better, and i feel more confident swinging within myself.

Stevelev: Can you remember what your 3 scores were when you got your handicap of 25?

Cheers Kev

None of my scores were below 100, but saying that I had a few 8's and 7's.

I have since getting my handicap shot<90. And am feeling optimistic about acheiving my targets, even exceeding them. What do people think the balance is for short game in comparison to long game practise?

Thanks for the input so far, I have booked my next lesson, and am able to play every weekend, and not being a fair weather golfer means i get out every weekend (except when the snow is thick, frost, rain hail and wind i dont mind)

My biggest issue is releasing the club through impact, and i think its due to me looking for the ball before i've hit it, when i do stay down i am able to hit the odd draw (yes when i try, not by fluke, that would be a hook lol.) Bob do you have any specific drills to help me with my release.

Thanks again everyone. :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have since getting my handicap shot<90. And am feeling optimistic about acheiving my targets, even exceeding them. What do people think the balance is for short game in comparison to long game practise?

im my personal opinion the short game outweights you long game by a country mile. if you look at your average par 4, driver/3w and a mid iron and your near the green for 2?... then a chip or 2, with a putt or 3 and that possible par has turned into a possible 6 or more.

My best scores last summer come when i was spending 2 nights per month on nothing but wedge practice. chips and 2 putts would become chips and a putt knocking off on average 6+ shots a round.

this season ive dedicated myself to more practice with my scoring clubs. 7i/8i/9i/pw/52* as these would be clubs i would use on most par 3's and also as second shots into par 4's. hitting a greens in regulation (1 on par 3's, 2 on par 4's, 3 on par 5's) is going to see alot more pars, and i need to be hot enought with my 52/58* wedges to be able to get close to the pin on any greens i do miss. thats where consistent scoring comes from in most club golfers that ive played with.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say lessons is the way to go, without doubt.

I wish I had taken lessons when I started. the reason I didn't was cos a couple of the guys a started with saw a decline in how they hit the ball and there enjoyment of the game after lessons. so I didn't have lessons. I know now it was nothing to do with the lessons it was that they were not practicing what they were being taught. If you don't practice it, it don't work, as simple as that.

I started at the beginning of 2006 had no lessons and got my first handicap of 24 and then got down to 16 within the first few months then down to 12. was stuck at that for two years and got down to single figures last year.

I've now had to start lesson if I want to get lower and have to forget everything and start from scratch as I have such a bad swing.

Wish I had had lessons back then
:rolleyes:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as I have such a bad swing.

If your playing off 8.8 there aint too much wrong with it my friend!

Chris

I want to get down to Cat 1 and the pro i'm getting lessons from has confirmed what i already knew which was i can't get to this with my current swing. I have had round of level par last year, but also one that was 28 over for 8 holes. :rolleyes:

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
Video your swing, Video your swing, Video your swing, Video your swing, Video your swing, Video your swing.
Do you think I've hammered home the point enough yet?

Don't do what I did, I went through the whole - reading books, watching videos, hundreds of hours practice at the range. Thing and it wasn't until I could afford a decent block of lessons did I ever see my own swing, and looked in horror at the lateral slide, bent arms, head dropping I was doing.
You know when the pro tried to get you to change your swing to 'textbook' it's probably because your swing is really bad...
I was there too...I could hit the ball quite well but after he'd finished I couldn't hit a damn thing and was worse, but at least I took on board the fundamentals and built upon them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A good teacher will explain why he is changing something in your swing.
If he/she didn't, you're less likely to stick with the change and go back to your comfortable swing.
What did he change at your lesson?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
A good teacher will explain why he is changing something in your swing.
If he/she didn't, you're less likely to stick with the change and go back to your comfortable swing.
What did he change at your lesson?

I was taking it back on plane and swinging back down on the same plane(this was on C-Swing), but he said that to eliminate my slice I neededto takeaway on the outside, strengthen my grip to 3 1/2 knuckles, speed up my downswing so my wrists snap through the ball. This was all in one lesson.

I went away practised exactly what he wanted me to do, and when I returned I explained that my slice had become worse and I was lucky if I hit one fairway in 18. He then got me to change my grip back, take away on the inside, close my sholders past square. I went away practised this ritually again for 4 weeks, at least 150 balls on the range per week. Taking my time every shot.

At the end of 4 weeks hit a few more fairways, but still a terrible slice, he said I should get back on the video. Finally noticed I had way to much weight shift on my backswing so couldn't transfer my weight back in time. (This I said I struggled with on my first lesson, I said I felt like I was still on my back foot, but he wanted to concentrate on my arms to start with.)

Had 1 lesson with alternative pro, he said my grip was great, I was swinging inside too much which causes me to then come over the top resulting in a slice. And he noticed straight away the weight transfer (told me the reason for so many fat shots and part of te slice), got me on a wobble board, and gave me a step through drill that seems to work really well. I do this as part of my pre shot routine, and even though I look an idiot its better than a bad score.

Golferphil79

Visit site
Steve, as an exercise professional it's great to see fitness on your list and I'll assume it's 3 pints of water ;-)

Do you have a specific plan for getting golf fit?

There's been some interesting studies by exercise scientists on golfers of varying handicaps. All hype aside, they've shown that a fairly simple home fitness program can significantly increase swing speed and carry distance with every club in the bag...

Just as importantly, there's no trade off in accuracy (in fact a combination of strength and flexibility exercises can actually improve swing mechanics and ball striking).

The golf experts will talk about fundamentals and rightly so. Improving your golf-specific strength and flexibility will allow you to adopt those fundamentals and key positions more easily and consistently (i.e. making a full shoulder turn whilst restricting with the lower body for example).

Here's an example* strength and flexibility program I've added to a website I'm involved with:

http://www.free-online-golf-tips.com/golf-strength-workout.html

http://www.free-online-golf-tips.com/golf-stretching-program.html

Do stick to your resolution of improving your fitness. I may be biased but from experience I know that it can make a huge difference to your game and rate of improvement.

Phil.

Ps. *I've got to add that because I don't know anything about you (your physical condition or medical history) that you should NOT follow any fitness program without first getting approval from a doctor.

villaman

Visit site
Hi Stevelev,
hope this helps a bit; Get your short game right!! Whats the old saying? Driving for show....Putting for dough. Sensible course management is essential too, playing safe is usually better than "going for it";

I do a lot of caddying on the Europro Tour, all the pro's on the tour are excellent short game players;

You've mentioned knowing your distances with your clubs, this is also essential, know the yardages on your home course too, its easy to make up a good yardage book with a bit of effort. (Google Earth is useful).

All the best.