Help for newbie required please

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and you could say I'm still new to golf after only picking up my first 7 iron 12 months ago.

Please be patient as I think it's best to give you a run down of things so far.

I was asked to be best man at a friends wedding and later found out his stag do was a golf weekend. I'll admit now that I would never have got into golf if it hadn't of been for this weekend (so glad it happened). I used his Ben Sayers M2 irons once or twice at the driving range then decided needed a set of my own. Due to restricted funds I bought a complete set of Dunlop Max clubs plus hybrids with graphite shafts.

I know it was a rushed decision but in all honesty I'm consistently hitting between 20-25 above par at Longhirst Golf Club, better than some experienced amatuers/seniors I play with.

Towards the end of last year I had a few lessons and was told I had an aggressive swing and that a stiff shafted 9 degree driver would do wonders for my slice. I bought a Yonex Cyberstar driver with stiff shaft and noticed a difference right away (range only as friends wouldn't play during winter).

I also picked up wilsons version of the odyssey 2 ball putter (the blackjack) and 2 Ram tour grind X wedges (52 & 60 deg).

I was also told to ditch the Dunlops as quickly as possible and was given a set of wilson Fatshaft MK2 irons (535 graphite shaft) by someone who had upgraded.

firstly, how would everyone grade the Wilson irons and secondly if I were to upgrade what would everyone recommend

Budget wont be huge but it's my birthday mid april so I'm hoping to be prepared and tell by fiance what to get me.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Spinn77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Kev

You'll get a big response on this I would have thought.

My advice would be to try as many irons as you can at the range - they should have demo clubs that they can make available to you.

The other way of doing it would be to get custom fitted (sometimes the cost of this can be taken off the price of the clubs if you buy).

Personally I like mizuno and have had a set of T-Zoid CT's for about 9 years and have got down to 12 using these and having a few lessons. I have only played regularly for 2 years and when i first joined my club was given a 21 handicap, go for game improvement clubs and they'll take you quite a long way.

Good luck

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Kev,

I have never used Wilson clubs so I wouldn't like to rate. Wilson are a big brand though so you probably wont go wrong with them.

I agree with Spinn77 that you should try as many sets as you can as there is a huge range of game improving clubs to try. If you have a lesson with your pro ask him and he should be able to give you some ideas about where to start.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be to have a look at the big names (Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Wilson, Mizuno etc) websites as most will start doing demo days again soon (American Golf also do a lot of instore demos so if there is one near you with a range it might be worth looking at). You can try all the models in various specs and most usually have some form of launch monitor to check your stats on.

Alternatively have a word with some local pros and see what thy can offer in way of test clubs as its always good to support a club pro rather than a big high street name. After that its down to you, what suits your game and how much you are prepared to spend. I'm guessing some of the manufacturers won't have released their 2010 range yet but others like Ping etc have (G15) and so you should start picking up the previous models at a better price.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
well since posting I've noticed that Mr Ashleys Sportsdirect.com have Cleveland Golf Launcher irons for £199 which is £100 cheaper than everyone else.

Problem is that no-one has these in stock with it being an older set so I cant try them.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm not one for necessarily trying too many clubs.

I use a different approach

Find a pro you understand and trust, and put your faith in him.

I've been talking on and off to a local guy, and over the last 6 months he's done me some good deals on the old ranges on various Benross stuff as the new ranges come out.

Just one example : The VeloCT 20* hybrid used to sell at £70. When the new range came out he was flogging it off for 20% discount IE £56. Coz he new me, had given me a couple of lessons last year, and coz I've commited to buying all my new kit from him as and when I could afford it, he let me have it for £35 of your used fivers, with no receipt, of course.

Ok Benross isn't a major brand, but this club comes with a Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum shaft. You try buying one of those shafts for £35, let alone the rest of the club....

Bargain.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I would suggest sticking with the wilsons for a while as the fat shafts are very forgiving, and they are a good club.
My only caveat would be if you are of a more than average build/size. If you're over 6'1" foot or under 5'5".
Then a custom fit job would be more suitable as the lie/length would be too far out for your frame.
Other than that till your swing has become more consistent stay with your clubs (If you take lessons your pro will more than likely indicate when your ready for a custom fit)