Has the Masters Par 3 Become a Joke?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching the BBC coverage (if you can call it that) of the Masters Par 3 - mainly Hazel and Ken/Sam filling in time between commercials, I was left feeling that this event has grown into a more distracting sideshow over the years.

Sure, its great for players to involve their kids and for the audience/patrons to see the players as 'family men' but this is all a bit puke-making now IMO. Don't get me wrong, I have 2 small kids and memories (for the players) are made of these moments in their sporting life, but having multiple kids in oversized boiler suits put, put, putting is cute to a point - then boring.

I applaud those taking it seriously, to win anything at Augusta is some achievement.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The only guys that let their kids take putts seemed to be those well out of contention. I think it is a good way to bow away a little of the tension on the build up as thursday-sunday is one of the main pressure pots for the players during their season.
To be honest, I was in the undecided camp with Poulter, I actually like him now after seeing him round the par threes with his kids and how he has fun with them.
Did you see how close the spectators were sat at some of the greens? I felt uncomfortable just watching with my recent "affliction" :eek:

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
it all depends on the context you take it in i suppose. i think the whole point is for a bit of fun and relaxation before the main event??
Its just typical american sensationalism, they have built the par 3 into a BIG tv event etc, when in all truth, its just a bit of fun!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I wonder if it's partly due to the 'jinx' of the par 3 comp?

Personally, I enjoyed it, apart from to much add filling.

From the old boys who don't play in the Masters but do partake in the par 3, to the kids and caddies 'having a go', and the relaxed nature of some players. It maybe a sideshow, but if I was a pro playing and had the chance to have my kids take part in the event. I'd love it.

I just hope that when my son gets there, that I'm allowed to caddie for him in the par 3 comp. I would be stoked. (Dreaming again!)

I really enjoyed watching Jim Furyk and Ian Poulter with their kids. It sheds a different light onto what we perceive as their characters as pros. How cool is it for the kids to take a putt , hole it, and then high 5 someone like Nick Faldo. It's a rare chance for these kids, and something that they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

But yes, it is a bit of a sideshow.

Sorry. I'm waffling. :eek:

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I enjoy it. There's an enormous amount of skill on show at the same time as a bit of fun... nothing wrong with that.

maybe they should have F1 drivers have a karting race the night before an F1 race and have teams with their kids etc...

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
From the old boys who don't play in the Masters

As much as I loved the guy, and what he did for the game etc. was I the only one feeling slightly embarrassed watching Arnie shuffle round?
As I say, I love the man. A true gentleman. But he didn't look well to me

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
From the old boys who don't play in the Masters

As much as I loved the guy, and what he did for the game etc. was I the only one feeling slightly embarrassed watching Arnie shuffle round?
As I say, I love the man. A true gentleman. But he didn't look well to me
Did you see the putt he got at the last, I was sure it was 10 feet short at one point.

DCB

Visit site
Well, since they don't have a pro-am on the Wednesday, they need something to fill the week. It's just a bit of fun and there's nothing wrong with what I saw.

At least we're now getting a little of the coverage of it. used to be that it was only those in attendance knew anything about it.

Still, today's the day. the real golf starts soon.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's like a cuppa with 8 sugars... sweet but a bit too sickly.

Do they only let the kids play on the 9th? Maybe they should just do that.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
having multiple kids in oversized boiler suits put, put, putting is cute to a point - then boring.

I'm shocked. Don't the players realise that they're breaking the rules by letting other people putt for them?! :eek:

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Players and their kids make me think of Harrington limbering up at Carnoustie for his playoff for the title.
He was on the putting green with his family and as he putted his wee one picked up the ball and ran and placed it in one of the other holes, much to the laughter of all the family. Not much help for his putting touch but it must have really settled his nerves prior to stepping onto the largest stage in golf.
He then beat 'my man' and lost me some cash but he went way up in my view, just a super family guy who appears to be able to live in the moment.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
I found the whole thing rather hard to watch....Hazel Irvine pretending she knew everyone...."Hello Mr Nicolas", then pretending that she knew anything about golf at all.

I guess its a release from the tension of the upcoming event for those who need that, though if I was in teh Masters I would be spending my time on the range.

It was interesting that Jack said he never played in the Par 3 when he thought he had as shot at the Masters as the greens were slightly different on the Par 3 course.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found the whole thing rather hard to watch....Hazel Irvine pretending she knew everyone...."Hello Mr Nicolas", then pretending that she knew anything about golf at all.

:D She could probably kick your ass on the golf course!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed most of it, not Hazel's fault she has to fill in for so many add breaks.
Many of the pros that were interviewed said that the greens were as quick as the main course and good practice.
and a couple of those kids sunk some pretty decent putts.

I have to agree about Arnie though, very painful to watch (it's what concerns me about the possiblility of Seve playing) - and I'm glad Player has called it a day, not fun to see them embarassing themselves trying to compete.

D

Deleted member 1418

Like others have posted, I enjoyed seeing the players showing off their skills in a more relaxed setting and having fun with their families. The only complaint I have is the coverage - actually felt a bit sorry for Hazel Irvine trying her best to fill in during all those bloody commercial breaks!! So, despite that, I am a fan but the coverage can be miles better.