Handicap Help

Rookie86

Hacker
Visit site
I know this might sound dumb but basically:

What's a Golf Handicap & how do I get one??

Ok, ok so I know what a golf Handicap is, but how do I get one??

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If its just to use as a personal record of improvement, you should have a look at scoresaver2, a great piece of software that enables you to monitor progress on every aspect of your golf as well as giving you an unofficial handicap ranking.

Many on here continue to use it including myself.

There is a very reasonable 1 off payment but you get a free trial period to evaluate it iirc

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh, joining a club seems expensive. I think this might be something I leave for a while

Depends which club you join!
Obviously, if you want to knock it around a decent, well established track which looks like Wentworth and you would be proud to take your mates, yes...it's going to be expensive.
But if you just want to get a handicap so that you can enter "Open" competitions and play some of the better courses that say they require a handicap certificate to be produced (on holiday in the Algarve for instance) then there are cheaper alternatives that won't break the bank.
I have just joined a little 9 hole course about 25 miles away. It's not a brilliant course by any stretch of the imagination, and it's not one that I would want to take my mates along to show them with pride.
But I can get an official "CONGU" handicap by playing there and it costs me £30.00 a year to be a member and another £15.00 or so a round. I can enter club competitions but the main thing is it gets me my all important certificate and maintain it so that I can play in Opens (which is all I want it for).
Small price to pay
;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have just joined a little 9 hole course about 25 miles away. It's not a brilliant course by any stretch of the imagination, and it's not one that I would want to take my mates along to show them with pride.

Sorry Smiffy, I thought Lydd was 18 holes??

Chris

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would also recommend www.golfshake.com it is free to use and if you want can pay £15 per year to get a CONGU recognised handicap card. It lets you log pretty much everything you need and will calculate your handicap after each round you enter. You can also have round authenticated if need be.