Handicap Annual Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

Can someone please offer me some assistance re: the above.

Last season, due to injury/illness, I only managed to play in 3 qualifiers.

One was wrong side of buffer, one was within and the other was apparently outside buffer but in an 18 hole comp only scores entered for 9 holes.

I injured my knee on the second hole , struggled round to the turn and then had to walk in.

The card was marked Retired Injured.

The Annual Review has given me a shot back.

Is that right?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The computer does not know there was a card with 'retired injured' on it. If you entered the card on a computer system then it will have been recorded as - outside of the buffer, 0.1 increase.

If you did not enter the card on the computer somebody did and decided that enough holes had been completed for handicap purposes.

Does the handicap committee just accept what the computer chucks out as recommended or does it do an actual review?

D

Deleted member 18588

From a conversation with two members of the H&C Committee I got the impression that "it's all done by the computer".

I didn't enter the score on the computer but did put the card in the box. I believe that the score was then put onto the system by the Assistant whose task is to collate all comp scores.

Am I wrong in believing that the score within buffer negates the awarding of a shot back?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you mean this was a Committee decision in the Annual Review or was it that your exact handicap was 0.1 away from triggering an increase to your playing handicap before your third round e.g it was on 13.4 and now your playing handicap is 14?

Hope the knee is recovering.

Edit
I think you have answered my question in your post above which was made while I was writing. It sounds like an automatic increase to your playing handicap because of that last 0.1
A score in your buffer zone is neutral: it has no effect on your handicap up or down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Do you mean this was a Committee decision in the Annual Review or was it that your exact handicap was 0.1 away from triggering an increase to your playing handicap before your third round e.g it was on 13.4 and now your playing handicap is 14?

Hope the knee is recovering.

Edit
I think you have answered my question in your post above which was made while I was writing. It sounds like an automatic increase to your playing handicap because of that last 0.1
A score in your buffer zone is neutral: it has no effect on your handicap up or down.

No it was an additional shot.

I hadn't previously bothered checking as I thought the Retired Injured card wouldn't count but my handicap had already increased by 0.1 for that card.

History for the year was therefore, 2x0.1, 1 buffer and 1.0 from Annual Review.

As for the knee I have to accept the comment of the last surgeon who operated on them.

"Your knees are knackered”

Last edited by a moderator:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The annual review software does not apply adjustments. It simply makes recommendations/suggestions that the committee is obliged to review manually.

"The Annual Review is a process whereby the Handicap Committee is required to consider the playing performance of all Members over the preceding year in relation to their current handicap and make any adjustment considered appropriate."

"23/2 The report ‘flags-up’ players who require consideration as detailed in Appendix M. It should be emphasised that it is not the intention that every player ‘flagged-up’ qualifies automatically for an increase or decrease in handicap. Any adjustment should only be made when all the evidence available on the player has been considered."
See also 23/3 and 23/4

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO

1. The card (correctly) returned when you were injured should not have counted for handicapping and the committee were remis in not acting on the information submitted (it's their responsibility to ensure such cards are flagged up to them by whoever they involve in processing)
2. I'm surprised that the system flagged you up at all for the AR based on the 3 returned results indicated for the following reasons - a. It used to require 4 scores to even consider you and b. Based on 33% buffer you look pretty normal.
3. Based on the above you should no longer have a (c) handicap from 1.1.19 because you have only returned 2 scores for handicapping! This is obviously a mute point as they have accepted the partial card...

At this point any appeal can only be based on the premise that the proposed handicap doesn't reflect you abilities now - is this the case and how would you illustrate it?

brfcfan

Visit site
The annual review software does not apply adjustments. It simply makes recommendations/suggestions that the committee is obliged to review manually.

"The Annual Review is a process whereby the Handicap Committee is required to consider the playing performance of all Members over the preceding year in relation to their current handicap and make any adjustment considered appropriate."

"23/2 The report ‘flags-up’ players who require consideration as detailed in Appendix M. It should be emphasised that it is not the intention that every player ‘flagged-up’ qualifies automatically for an increase or decrease in handicap. Any adjustment should only be made when all the evidence available on the player has been considered."
See also 23/3 and 23/4

Rulefan is absolutely spot on. I am the Handicap Sec at our club and I use the annual review software as a suggestion but all of our decisions are based on fact. Looking at your situation we would not have automatically given you a shot back, we would have asked you if you wanted a shot back based on your injury circumstances or not offered you one at all. Very strange that they made it a compulsory shot back

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep.... retirement due to injury means removal from the Comp... so no 0.1 back.... & sadly you go none 'c' ….. so will need to get 3 Q-Comp cards in to be re-established. Hard to understand why the H/cap team have done what they have.... best ask them

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep.... retirement due to injury means removal from the Comp... so no 0.1 back.... & sadly you go none 'c' ….. so will need to get 3 Q-Comp cards in to be re-established. Hard to understand why the H/cap team have done what they have.... best ask them
Except that he wasn't removed from the comp (which was the strange thing)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rulefan is absolutely spot on. I am the Handicap Sec at our club and I use the annual review software as a suggestion but all of our decisions are based on fact. Looking at your situation we would not have automatically given you a shot back, we would have asked you if you wanted a shot back based on your injury circumstances or not offered you one at all. Very strange that they made it a compulsory shot back

I am afraid I do not understand the concept of asking people what handicap they wish to play off?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at your situation we would not have automatically given you a shot back, we would have asked you if you wanted a shot back based on your injury circumstances or not offered you one at all. Very strange that they made it a compulsory shot back
You should not ask what he wanted but check the medical circumstances and your committee decide should if he needs an adjustment