Hand positions

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a few lessons last year and the instructor has been trying to get me to flatten my hand at the top of my backswing, like balancing a plate, thing is the more I'm trying to do that the worse I'm getting, I just can't seem to get the hang of it, what I'm asking is that something I must do

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
Likely to be your right hand? A better question for me is why is he asking you to do it? What are you trying to improve?

Some drills work for some, not for others. Discuss it at your next lesson 😊

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
He is trying to improve everything I think, my first lesson my hand was behind the ball on impact and I would move my weight to my left side in my back swing I also hinged my left wrist at the top of my bs he had me working on hand over the ball and turning my hips more, then to flatten my right hand, I'm hope that explains

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry I'm right handed

He is trying to improve everything I think, my first lesson my hand was behind the ball on impact and I would move my weight to my left side in my back swing I also hinged my left wrist at the top of my bs he had me working on hand over the ball and turning my hips more, then to flatten my right hand, I'm hope that explains

Bloomin heck that's a lot to think of. Maybe try one or two of the aspects at a time?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
That was all of my issues I have ironed out the hand behind ball and I'm now over the ball or more neutral I'm keeping my body more still on my back swing, head doesn't move at all until release, its just that flat hand that I'm struggling with

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That was all of my issues I have ironed out the hand behind ball and I'm now over the ball or more neutral I'm keeping my body more still on my back swing, head doesn't move at all until release, its just that flat hand that I'm struggling with

Seems like you have made pretty good progress then!

Perhaps it could be simpler to use a different approach! If you try to keep the left wrist (pretty much) flat - i.e neither particularly bowed, nor 'cupped', so - then it's likely that the right arm will simply support the left - and the right hand will(well, should!) naturally be in that 'holding a plate' position!

There are some other analogies/similar actions (albeit with slightly different arm angles involved) that can be used too - swinging a baseball/softball bat; throwing a stone as hard as possible - skipping a stone across water; chopping a tree with an axe and a few others!

It might also be worth considering acquiring a Swingyde (or a 'copy' via Ebay which are just as effective, but without the explanatory CD). Great tool for setting the wrists correctly!

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm trying to keep my left arm straight and extended aswel as my left wrist so it forces my right wrist to stay in position like you say I just don't seem to make a good connection, if I slightly turn the back of my left hand up ie knuckles will be slightly raised towards the sky I make a better connection and I can keep my left arm fully extended and straight I also try and copy some of the pros as I see most don't do that left hand plate thing

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
So should I persist with trying to keep the right hand flat or will I just leave it slightly flat were I get my best results, I don't want to get into a bad habit I can't shift

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So should I persist with trying to keep the right hand flat or will I just leave it slightly flat were I get my best results, I don't want to get into a bad habit I can't shift

No brainer........leave it slightly flat where you get your best results.