Hanbury Manor

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Off to Hanbury Manor for 2 days tomorrow, never come across it before, I know a few of you live in the area, so what's the sp

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played it on the GM Centenary thing.
Nice, greens were swift side of fast.
Long walk from practice green/range to the first tee if I remember....

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played it this time last year.

Really good place, done one night two rounds, course, food and rooms excellent.

Course not too tough and good scoring chances. Long walk from practice to first as mentioned and likewise from 9 -10 is a good walk, watch the car park on the 17th

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Two totally different nines. First nine set on the side of a hill and quite open (only a few trees), back nine is parkland and fairly flat. Beware of the trees, they are large and get in the way! :)

Should still be in good condition as there was a senior tour event there last week.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good layout with quick greens. Pretty open off the tee so you can give it a rip - especially on the front 9.

Just remember after you have played that Barry Lane knocked it around in 60 off the back tees a couple of weeks ago!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a Marriot, and generally Marriot green fees are about £40.
The wife and I played there a couple of years ago, and they charged us £95 :eek:
What's more, their greens had been hollow-tined and sanded. We felt well and truly ripped off.
And frankly the course is no nicer than, say, Tudor Park.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its OK, imo it punch's above its weight, there are some decent holes but a few are less memorable, it can be quiet long and if the wind blows it changes things a good bit. Once you have finished I suggest a pint at the pub at the end of the drive unless you enjoy Marriotts indifferent and V.expensive fayre.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played it some years ago and enjoyed it. I believe they played some European Tour events there including the English Open. Back 9 is much older than the front 9 if I recall

D

Deleted member 15344

It's pretty much like most of the Marriotts - a bit overrated , some decent holes , was a mess when I played it but then as a resort course its not going to be great and everything at the hotel is expensive- it's one of the better Marriotts but ultimately a forgettable course

Fish

Banned
Visit site
A bit blind approaching a few greens that had a few run offs which caught me out, otherwise very happy with my nett 66 😜

As some have said, 2 very different 9's, preferred the front 9 which they've done the best they can with the land, but trees in fairways is a no no for me on the back.

My putting was the killer today, loved the fast slick greens with undulations that I read well.

I drove really well today which was the difference, now I know my way around the course I'll probably play crap tomorrow 😜🏌️

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice track, and has a real wow factor when you arrive, oh and enjoy the 'boat' to the island green!

GBC

Uh? Played there lots and never seen this?? You must have been a long time ago or confused with another venue.

I had my two best ever rounds there Fish. Nice track, large greens ususally in good condition. Some good scoring holes, couple of long tough ones too. However, not a marquee course so don't expect miracles at the end of the day it's just a Marriott p&p venue, albeit en expensive one.
You'll enjoy it though. Halfway way house is quite good. Front 9 is new, back 9 is old. Front 9 is open and wide but with long links type rough, the back tighter with massive old trees and a bit of water. If the heat is up and the wind in the wrong direction watch out for the pong from the next door refuse tip!!

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit blind approaching a few greens that had a few run offs which caught me out, otherwise very happy with my nett 66 😜

As some have said, 2 very different 9's, preferred the front 9 which they've done the best they can with the land, but trees in fairways is a no no for me on the back.

My putting was the killer today, loved the fast slick greens with undulations that I read well.

I drove really well today which was the difference, now I know my way around the course I'll probably play crap tomorrow 😜🏌️

Good shooting Robin. Good luck tomorrow

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Enjoyed it a lot more the second day, knowing the greens made a big difference although I still had a couple of great approaches run off to the edges mainly due to tough pin positions, but I was having to be aggressive and go pin hunting at times as I was down from the off so was the riskI had to take.

They don't do themselves any favours at £9.50 for 2 pints 😳 but it was the service charges you had to watch out for, ordered a bottle of wine to have at dinner and a 12.5% service charge added another £4.50 just to bring it to the table 😳

Loved the greens, 2 very different 9's, the wind was stronger yesterday but was constantly changing as you walked down the fairways and the heavens opened up for about an hour.

I lost 2 balls Sunday (water) and 2 again yesterday but they were in the tall wispy rough, very strange starting hole, I went for it the first day and failed but went down the side yesterday.

Positioning off the tee on the back 9 was critical so you could go for the green and not be blocked out by large trees or their limbs which overhung some fairways, but I got that spot on yesterday and don't think I've ever hit as many GIR before.

I've never walked so much between greens to tees, there must be an additional 2000 yards not counting the hike between 9 & 10. The Pro said it's a 7 mile walk overall 😳 One of the lads recorded over 15,000 steps on the course the first day 😜

I wouldn't rush back but I enjoyed it, looking back to the blue championship tees would make it a really different proposition, huge credit to Barry Lane for his recent record 60 blows around it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty much found the same years back when we stayed there. Strange also that (apparently) a golf club owns the course but let's the hotel have tee times.