Gutted I won at weekend!!!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Went back to my old club on Sunday and won the invitation pairs with my dad. Shot a Scratch 73 (Nett 60) myself, my dad could have just carried my bag for all he contributed. This is the second time we have won it in four years (also had a second).

Trouble is my old club my golf has been really poor since I left there and I have recently become a cat 3 golfer for the first time since I was a 13 year old lad. I am getting really tired of going back every year where everything falls into place for one game and returning to my usual rubbish as soon as I get back to my current club.

Its reaching the stage where I am tempted to chuck it at my current club and make a 90 mile round trip back to my old club for a game every week.

It’s doing my head in!!!! I would like to go back just once and play rubbish. :D :D

It has now become a huge mental problem that I am struggling to overcome. Any suggestions??

D

Deleted member 1147

Is your old course a 9 hole pitch and putt, thus making alot easier than a full length "proper" course?

I find Markeaton Park's P&P, where I learnt to play the game, easier than my current course!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is your old course a 9 hole pitch and putt, thus making alot easier than a full length "proper" course?

I find Markeaton Park's P&P, where I learnt to play the game, easier than my current course!

It is shorter and a bit more open. However the greens are smaller with big slopes and are always really slick. I would say it is slightly easier but i am averaging 95 on my current track (N/R saved me from 100+ last week). It is certainly not 20 odd shots easier.

Murph

Thought about never going back but its always nice to go and have a game with the old man. And the winnings help keep me in pro v's that i spray all over my current course :D

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I find it pretty hard to believe that a player can consistently shoot 20+ shots better on one course than another, unless one is the local muni and the other is Oakmont. :D

Have you compared your stats for both courses? That should help you tell which parts of your game are miraculously improved when you play the easier one.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
How well do you know your new course compared to old? Course management could play a big part!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't have much stats for my old course but i have been looking at stats for my current course in more detail. The majority of my good scores have come when they have reversed the layout i.e. played the back nine first. This makes for an easier start, my old club also has an easy start.

The 2nd and 3rd at my current club are really tough. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself after a bad start or I maybe should get myself up there earlier to hit a few balls before I start.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What stats do you keep. If it helps I'd recommend strokesaver2 software (one off cost but if you PM SS2 on here he will give the code for a £5 discount)

I do use SS2 Homer. I am probably one of the many you have guided down the SS2 route. Have you negotiated a commission yet? ;)

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Stuart,

Stick with it at your current club. The cost of fuel alone should deter you from even thinking about a 90mile round trip for a weekly game of golf.

Take the game at your old club as a confidence boost that you do have the ability and focus on kicking a$$ at your current gaff!