Guidelines to resolve ties in medal play (with handicap)

Swango1980

Visit site
Committee Decisions #6
Can you please provide the link to this? I can't find it.
The bit Esteban_M quoted was directly from the Link in Post #2, which you quoted and he replied to.

It is in the R&A - Committee Procedures - (6) How Ties Will Be Decided - Matching Scorecards (Also Known as a Scorecard Count-Back) - Second Paragraph, beginning second sentence of that.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The bit Esteban_M quoted was directly from the Link in Post #2, which you quoted and he replied to.

It is in the R&A - Committee Procedures - (6) How Ties Will Be Decided - Matching Scorecards (Also Known as a Scorecard Count-Back) - Second Paragraph, beginning second sentence of that.
Taken from the R&A website.

Matching Scorecards (Also Known as a Scorecard Count-Back)

If a play-off is not feasible or desired, the Terms of the Competition may specify that any ties will be decided by matching scorecards. Even when the winner of a competition is to be decided by a play-off, other positions in the competition may be decided by matching scorecards. The method of matching scorecards should also provide for what will happen if this procedure does not produce a winner.

One method of matching scorecards is to determine the winner based on the best score for the last round. If the tying players have the same score for the last round or if the competition consisted of a single round, determine the winner based on the score for the last nine holes, last six holes, last three holes and finally the 18th hole. If there is still a tie, then the last six holes, three holes and final hole of the first nine holes will be considered in turn. If the round is less than 18 holes, the number of holes used in matching scores may be adjusted.

Where does it say "The Committee Decisions #6 states that 18 holes will be used only if the competition has more than 18 holes (e.g. 36 holes), otherwise it will be 9, 6, 3," as Esteban said?

Swango1980

Visit site
Taken from the R&A website.

Matching Scorecards (Also Known as a Scorecard Count-Back)

If a play-off is not feasible or desired, the Terms of the Competition may specify that any ties will be decided by matching scorecards. Even when the winner of a competition is to be decided by a play-off, other positions in the competition may be decided by matching scorecards. The method of matching scorecards should also provide for what will happen if this procedure does not produce a winner.

One method of matching scorecards is to determine the winner based on the best score for the last round. If the tying players have the same score for the last round or if the competition consisted of a single round, determine the winner based on the score for the last nine holes, last six holes, last three holes and finally the 18th hole. If there is still a tie, then the last six holes, three holes and final hole of the first nine holes will be considered in turn. If the round is less than 18 holes, the number of holes used in matching scores may be adjusted.

Where does it say "The Committee Decisions #6 states that 18 holes will be used only if the competition has more than 18 holes (e.g. 36 holes), otherwise it will be 9, 6, 3," as Esteban said?
I'm confused, when you asked the question, you seemed to highlight the wrong part of Estebans post. The bit you highlighted was in the link, which you've highlighted again in red.

I didn't realise you were querying the bit regarding a competition more than 18 holes. However, if that is your query, surely it is implied in the bit you highlighted in red and the bit before it. It states the "best score for the last round" which implies countback for the full 18 holes if more than one round. Then the bit highlighted in red then describes what happens for single round comps, or if that last round was tied.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm confused, when you asked the question, you seemed to highlight the wrong part of Estebans post. The bit you highlighted was in the link, which you've highlighted again in red.

I didn't realise you were querying the bit regarding a competition more than 18 holes. However, if that is your query, surely it is implied in the bit you highlighted in red and the bit before it. It states the "best score for the last round" which implies countback for the full 18 holes if more than one round. Then the bit highlighted in red then describes what happens for single round comps, or if that last round was tied.
Sorry for any confusion. My highlighting was intended to point out the discrepancy in the first sentence in the post.

Estaban's first sentence said
"The Committee Decisions #6 states that 18 holes will be used only if the competition has more than 18 holes (e.g. 36 holes), otherwise it will be 9, 6, 3, 1..."

My highlighting of Estaban's following text was "if the competition consisted of a single round, determine the winner based on the score for the last nine holes, last six holes, last three holes and finally the 18th hole. "

Last edited:

Esteban_M

Visit site
As a wrap up to this, I inquired the local authority about how we should do it and they answered recommended me to use the "exact handicap" method to untie stroke play games.

E.g. let's assume we have this two players:
Player A, 10 HCP, 72 NET, 82 GROSS (42 OUT, 40 IN)
Player B, 7 HCP, 72 NET, 79 GROSS (39 OUT, 40 IN).

Tied with 72 NET.

The way to untie is to take the sum of the las 9 holes (gross) and substract half of the playing handicap:
Player A, 40 - 5 = 35
Player B, 40 - 3.5 = 36.5

If there was the case that even after subtracting half the handicap, there was a tie, then you have to take the sum of the last 6 holes and subtract one third of the handicap.
It gets more elaborate than that if there were subsequent ties, but it's also very unlikely unless both players have the same handicap and shot almost the same on holes played.

In the case of 9 holes tournaments, you start the untying by adding up the last six holes and subtracting two thirds of the 9 hole playing handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a wrap up to this, I inquired the local authority about how we should do it and they answered recommended me to use the "exact handicap" method to untie stroke play games.

E.g. let's assume we have this two players:
Player A, 10 HCP, 72 NET, 82 GROSS (42 OUT, 40 IN)
Player B, 7 HCP, 72 NET, 79 GROSS (39 OUT, 40 IN).

Tied with 72 NET.

The way to untie is to take the sum of the las 9 holes (gross) and substract half of the playing handicap:
Player A, 40 - 5 = 35
Player B, 40 - 3.5 = 36.5

If there was the case that even after subtracting half the handicap, there was a tie, then you have to take the sum of the last 6 holes and subtract one third of the handicap.
It gets more elaborate than that if there were subsequent ties, but it's also very unlikely unless both players have the same handicap and shot almost the same on holes played.

In the case of 9 holes tournaments, you start the untying by adding up the last six holes and subtracting two thirds of the 9 hole playing handicap.
What 'local authority' was this? District, County, National ?

Esteban_M

Visit site

5a(6):
For net competitions where the stroke index allocation as set by the Committee is not used, such as individual stroke play, if the last nine, last six, last three holes scenario is used, one-half, one-third, one-sixth, etc. of the handicaps should be deducted from the score for those holes. Handicap stroke fractions should be applied in accordance with the rules or recommendations contained within the Handicap System operating in the local jurisdiction.