Great rejoicing today

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
This isn’t boasting because there’s some fantastic golfers on this forum. But, a significant moment on my golf journey today. For the first time 3ver I broke 80😀😀😀. I’m over the moon.

Now, advice please. I’ve been playing a Srixon AD333 which I’m really quite enjoying. What would I gain by swapping to a tour ball, perhaps a TP5 or a Tour Response Stripe. For reference, my swing sweep is 7 iron approx 78-80mph, driver approx 92-95mph.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well done..👏
You would gain a bit of control on approach and chip/pitch shots from the extra spin. Softer balls will add feel
You may lose a bit of distance for the same reasons.
If you're only just breaking 80 for the first time I'd be inclined to stick with what you know and maybe try a different ball on the odd occasion
The "better" balls will also cost more so take into account how many you lose....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Breaking 80 is a real achievement so you can put the feet up a happy man or woman tonight. :)

The premium balls really only come into their own around the greens. They sit down a fair bit quicker on pitches and approach shots.

You either play for the release or move to softer balls and get used to it stopping quicker.

HPIMG

Visit site
Congratulations on breaking 80. Try mizuno RB tour I had a box and started using them last week there an amazing ball for a fair bit cheaper than other premium balls.

Severof

Visit site
Try the Kirkland signature ball from Costco probably a third the price of Pro v1 at £35 for 24, and many reviews state it's a very similar ball to the Titleist.

I found and used a tour response stripe ( brown ) last week and lost the flight of it many times in the sky, and was also not as easy to spot on the ground, so beware if that if you haven't got 20/20 vision. Was quite relieved a few holes later to snap hook it back to its grave .

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Congratulations on breaking 80!

In terms of picking a ball, I would suggest having a look at the MyGolfSpy ball test results, they are very insightful, I'm playing the old Chromesoft X LS off the back of it (although they've now changed to a different name now).

RichA

Visit site
This isn’t boasting because there’s some fantastic golfers on this forum. But, a significant moment on my golf journey today. For the first time 3ver I broke 80😀😀😀. I’m over the moon.

Now, advice please. I’ve been playing a Srixon AD333 which I’m really quite enjoying. What would I gain by swapping to a tour ball, perhaps a TP5 or a Tour Response Stripe. For reference, my swing sweep is 7 iron approx 78-80mph, driver approx 92-95mph.
If you've been enjoying the AD333 and just shot a milestone round with it, why change?
I've broken 80 once, so I guess we're a similar standard. I've tried most golf balls, from economy to premium, soft bouncy things to distance rocks. I honestly think the ball is the variable that actually makes the least difference. I've lost 2 premium balls on the first 2 holes then finished the round low 80s with a foundling. Golf innit!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Congratulations.
This ball has got u to where you are so don’t just bin it now show some loyalty 😂

Try some other balls over winter and try and settle on one for next season.
A ball fitting would be a good way to do this ,try as many as you can.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would suggest you look at the Titleist Pro V 1
Start with lake balls/seconds and see how you get on.
The ProV1 X (red number) will feel closer to your Srixons as feel a bit harder
but the black number is a bit softer and will feel different.
In my humble opinion and that of many tour players, it's the best ball out there

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest you look at the Titleist Pro V 1
Start with lake balls/seconds and see how you get on.
The ProV1 X (red number) will feel closer to your Srixons as feel a bit harder
but the black number is a bit softer and will feel different.
In my humble opinion and that of many tour players, it's the best ball out there
What Bob said. Also, if you do not lose many balls I find that the premium urethane covered balls are more durable and last longer as they do not scuff as easily as the non tour balls.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you've been enjoying the AD333 and just shot a milestone round with it, why change?
I've broken 80 once, so I guess we're a similar standard. I've tried most golf balls, from economy to premium, soft bouncy things to distance rocks. I honestly think the ball is the variable that actually makes the least difference. I've lost 2 premium balls on the first 2 holes then finished the round low 80s with a foundling. Golf innit!
Exactly this. Mygolfspy indicates the spin rates are within 100rpm the Titleist offers a little driver distance increase less than 3 yards etc ..
But this all depends on you and how you strike the ball.
I play AD333, I like it, it lasts the Pro V1x only looks tidy for 3-4 holes. I find little benefit from it as the spin skin on the AD333 is good.
I have shot 73 with the AD333 and that ball looks like it can go another round.
My driver swing speed is a little higher as my carry distance is around 235-250yards with my driver.
By all means look at the other balls and I do, but when it comes to performance vs value the AD333 is just miles ahead at £22/dozen.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well done on breaking 80. If someone told me I had no choice but to play the AD333 I wouldn't be disappointed. For me the Pro V1 has a nicer feel for putting but this is very subjective. All good points made by everyone posting before me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done.

As to changing the it really depends on what you are trying to achieve (other than lowering the score)
Playing a 3 or or more piece urethane ball will change what the ball does most will certainly spin more which will improve control - go to a high spin and you will improve greenside control a lot compared to and AD333
You very often will get a softer feeling ball that tends to roll less with the putts.

Changing from a 2 piece ball to a 3 or more piece ball may need some adjustment to how you take on certain shots and with putting which could take a little while to achieve.

You do not have to go the whole hog initially ie switching to a Prov or a TP or Bridgestone Tour series there are quite a few other makes alot cheaper - just look for 3 piece urethane* construction.

*or similar
examples are Wilson Triad, Kirkland signature
seen these cheapish and they are a great ball

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also remember if you go for a ball that spins more it will affect your drives and iron shots.
More spin is not always a good thing it takes time to ajust.

So play your AD333 until the season ends then try out other balls.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

Congrats. Go with something different like the Penfold Ace so you won't have to bother marking your ball.
I play the Pro V1x, not because it does anything for my game, but rather because I can order it with ball #79.
It helps me keep my eyes on the prize.

Today is Saturday so no golf for my geriatric brigade.
We leave the weekends to the poor souls still forced to work for a living.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done.

As to changing the it really depends on what you are trying to achieve (other than lowering the score)
Playing a 3 or or more piece urethane ball will change what the ball does most will certainly spin more which will improve control - go to a high spin and you will improve greenside control a lot compared to and AD333
You very often will get a softer feeling ball that tends to roll less with the putts.

Changing from a 2 piece ball to a 3 or more piece ball may need some adjustment to how you take on certain shots and with putting which could take a little while to achieve.

You do not have to go the whole hog initially ie switching to a Prov or a TP or Bridgestone Tour series there are quite a few other makes alot cheaper - just look for 3 piece urethane* construction.

*or similar
examples are Wilson Triad, Kirkland signature
seen these cheapish and they are a great ball

Great ball just bought 3 doz.
Cheers Jim.

sunshine

Visit site
Try the Kirkland signature ball from Costco probably a third the price of Pro v1 at £35 for 24, and many reviews state it's a very similar ball to the Titleist.

I found and used a tour response stripe ( brown ) last week and lost the flight of it many times in the sky, and was also not as easy to spot on the ground, so beware if that if you haven't got 20/20 vision. Was quite relieved a few holes later to snap hook it back to its grave .

I agree the Tour Response stripe can be harder to spot, although they don't make a version with a brown stripe (red, blue, yellow) so I suspect you are colour blind, which must make it even harder!

The lime yellow stripe stands out the most, and is actually a good ball with a urethane cover - it scored very highly in mygolfspy's ball review

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree the Tour Response stripe can be harder to spot, although they don't make a version with a brown stripe (red, blue, yellow) so I suspect you are colour blind, which must make it even harder!

The lime yellow stripe stands out the most, and is actually a good ball with a urethane cover - it scored very highly in mygolfspy's ball review
Maybe he meant burgundy.. or orange. https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf...JVxUm9rfdVNr1xUi-OJyOavzNaXvGex8aAkb2EALw_wcB
My mate was using the lime stripes but they were practically camouflaged if they landed stripe-up in the rough. Not ideal.

With regards to the OP - I'll echo what some others have said. A premium ball may see you longer off the tee, but potentially shorter with irons as they spin a bit more. You might find better feel on chipping and putting with urethane, but also that the extra spin takes some getting used to if you normally play low chip-and-runs that you expect to release more. Handy though if you need to flop one over a bunker!

I personally play a soft, low spin premium ball (Bridgestone RXS at the moment) - as Deano said, the MyGolfSpy ball-lab test results are great for trying to identify a ball that's well suited to your swing speed and your needs. But there's definitely no need to change balls just because you've broken 80. Someone above recommended Kirkland but I recall that in the MGS testing that was one of the highest-spinning balls of all, making it one of the shortest on iron shots, so it might not be a good plan to jump straight into that particular ball.