Graphite iron flex

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you really notice the difference between a regular and stiff flex when it typically weighs 60-70 g ?
No I couldn’t really tell a weight difference.
Thought I would treat myself to a set of Callaway with Reg graphite shafts.
The ball flight was vastly different between Reg and stiff for me Reg much higher.
It’s the stiffness imo that needs to be right
If your going from 130 g to 95 g yes but 10g no.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is worth remembering that (unlike steel) there is no set standard for graphite. It is possible to make graphite shafts with all sorts of variations such as where the kick point on the shaft is which in itself can produce big variations on distance etc,

E.G I have a 3 wood with two different shafts one is stiff and the other regular but different makes and they both play about the same when I am swinging well.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My normal irons are xp95 stiff in steel (95g) and I have recently added a 3iron to the set which is a recoil f3 75g regular. The weight difference is hardly noticeable even at 20g. I would say both launch roughly the same but I have a tendency to lose the 3 iron left which I believe is the common if a shaft is too weak.

However I also recently acquired a speed zone driver which had a tensi 60g counter balanced shaft in, I have swapped this out to a non c/balanced 50g shaft and it’s made the club feel heavier and you can definitely feel head weight, both shafts were stiff.

My point re the driver shaft backs up @jim8flog response in respect of weight isn’t just weight, with graphite it’s how they construct the shaft and it’s characteristic's