GPS watches

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Skycaddie looked like a lovely watch but having to pay £30 a year to use the same functions as the Golf Buddy was the clincher really. I've played quite a few courses lately, including the new one at Ramside and the WT4 has always deadly accurate. As far as I'm aware Golf Buddy and Skycaddie (not sure about the others) use the same GPS technology which gives an accurate position wherever you are in relation to the hole.

For me Skycaddie have missed a trick by continuing to ask for subscriptions when the majority of other devices give the same level of info for free.

No we definitely don't!

It is impossible for any other device and especially GB to give the same level of info, the 250+ plus courses which were all updated over the winter are testament to that, they were all revisited and those changes walked by mappers like myself, every other device will only be updated when the third party they use for arial imagery decides to update their software, as such all those devises will not be accurate in relation to all those changes we updated of which some changes are considerable!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the plain old simple s1. Can't recommend it enough, front middle back. Not sure you need much else.

plus I've noticed I can get 2 rounds out of it now, I'm sure when I got it it'd last about 32/34 holes. Strange :mad:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
No we definitely don't!

It is impossible for any other device and especially GB to give the same level of info, the 250+ plus courses which were all updated over the winter are testament to that, they were all revisited and those changes walked by mappers like myself, every other device will only be updated when the third party they use for arial imagery decides to update their software, as such all those devises will not be accurate in relation to all those changes we updated of which some changes are considerable!

You've misunderstood Robin.

Re the "technology" he's right, GolfBuddy gives you a dynamic front/middle/back same as Skycaddie. I.e. if you drive miles to the right, the yardage on the GolfBuddy and Skycaddie is the front/middle/back as you look directly at the green whereas Bushnell and Garmin give you front/middle/back as fixed points from directly down the hole regardless of where you are on the course :thup:

Was one of the main reasons I went for the GolfBuddy watch, given how all over the show I usually am!

Nobody other than Skycaddie offers the ground mapping and frequency of updates though, you are correct in that.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Re the "technology" he's right, GolfBuddy gives you a dynamic front/middle/back same as Skycaddie. I.e. if you drive miles to the right, the yardage on the GolfBuddy and Skycaddie is the front/middle/back as you look directly at the green whereas Bushnell and Garmin give you front/middle/back as fixed points from directly down the hole regardless of where you are on the course :thup:

Yes that's what I meant, was a long day at work yesterday :D I like how it knows the exact yardage from wherever I am on the course in effect.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have a look at the Bushnell Neo XS.
I have one, and love it.
Distances to front, middle and back... along with distances to hazards (up to 4 per hole) plus a wealth of other information too.
Nice and light, and the battery lasts ages (and ages!). I had a Garmin S1 prior to this and it would conk out half way into a second round.
This one is still going strong after 18, with 3 of it's 4 charging "bars" still showing. I have no doubt it will manage 36, maybe even 54.
No subscription fees either!
Can be purchased from around £130.00 online if you shop around.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Was one of the main reasons I went for the GolfBuddy watch, given how all over the show I usually am!

Nobody other than Skycaddie offers the ground mapping and frequency of updates though, you are correct in that.

OK, they have a similar dynamic view feature but there are also many other attributes the SkyCaddie has over its [competitors], especially the IntelliGreen feature which features the green not only in any position you are approaching from but also shows any false fronts, run offs, tiers etc, this is far in advance to the basic static dynamic view of an approach to a green with front, middle & back as our green physically moves so its [true] shape and actual green measurements along with all its contours are relevant to where you are coming in from.

https://youtu.be/xRnGk7NQQEU

https://youtu.be/qJDFiM6-NCQ

D

Deleted member 15344

OK, they have a similar dynamic view feature but there are also many other attributes the SkyCaddie has over its [competitors], especially the IntelliGreen feature which features the green not only in any position you are approaching from but also shows any false fronts, run offs, tiers etc, this is far in advance to the basic static dynamic view of an approach to a green with front, middle & back as our green physically moves so its [true] shape and actual green measurements along with all its contours are relevant to where you are coming in from.

Are they features you need to pay a subscription for and how much is it ?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm really not trying to put Skycaddie down Robin!

Do you use the intelligreen function? I'm not sure im consistent enough for it to be a game changer for me tbh but then I've never tried it.

My watch has a green function that you can move the pin around but would never use it!!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm really not trying to put Skycaddie down Robin!

Do you use the intelligreen function? I'm not sure im consistent enough for it to be a game changer for me tbh but then I've never tried it.

My watch has a green function that you can move the pin around but would never use it!![/QUOTE

I know yoyr not, I'm just highlighting where our technology and current features on some devices is more advanced and can benefit those that want to take advantage of them.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently I bought a Garmin s2 which was good but didn't show hazards from the tee, just distances to layup points, it did have the measure my sot functions though. So I swapped it in AG for a Tom Tom which does show hazards, bunkers ditches ponds etc, but doesn't have the measure my shot function, so now I'm going to swap it for a Golfbuddy WT4 which does do hazards and does do measure my shot! Hopefully this will be the one I stick with!!

D

Deleted member 16999

As Robin (Fish) is aware I have worked with Garmin and recently changed to a Skycaddie watch, I believe there is confusion when people talk about accuracy (not everyone) GPS accuracy is virtually the same as they all use the same satellites, Course information accuracy though is were Sky caddie win hands down, because as Robin says they are the only ones to actually walk the course, there updates come from physical collection, everyone else use satellite imagery and some satellite imagery in parts of the UK is 5-10 years old, no problem if there have been no changes. If anyone would like aperfect example of this have alook at Sharpley Springs Golf Club, I played it on Game Golf and found that the imagery they use for editing still shows the Quarry that was filled in 8 years ago, apparently my tee shots missed a few fairways that day!!

D

Deleted member 16999

I played Sharpley in December and my wt4 worked perfectly. Nice course as well albeit a touch frozen lol.
On GG mate, you get no on course info, it was the ariel imagery post round! 😃

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one a GPS Watch since I am terrible with judging distances. I currently use an App on my phone but find it a real pain to keep track of it, I like using it for scoring as I like having the info but I can always update scoring separately.

So far I have narrowed it down to SkyCaddie and Bushnell. Not a fan of the fact that SkyCaddie have membership fee's but at £30 a year it's not too bad.

Does anyone have any advice on these two brands? Pro's\Con's of each?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one a GPS Watch since I am terrible with judging distances. I currently use an App on my phone but find it a real pain to keep track of it, I like using it for scoring as I like having the info but I can always update scoring separately.

So far I have narrowed it down to SkyCaddie and Bushnell. Not a fan of the fact that SkyCaddie have membership fee's but at £30 a year it's not too bad.

Does anyone have any advice on these two brands? Pro's\Con's of each?

You only need pay the skcaddie fee if you want the extra's. I've got the Linx without the fees and am very happy with it.