GPS watches

D

Deleted member 15344

Very popular as they give simple information , simple to user and relatively priced well

Certainyl well worth it if looking for a GPS item to give you distance info

D

Deleted member 15344

What model would you recommend

See a lot have the Garmin S2 and the Skycaddie Linx - both simple to use and provide the necessary info

Not sure on the subscription requirements for the Skycaddie though

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the moment the Golf Buddy WT4 is the best value watch out there IMO, I'm going on looks and amount of accurate, relevant data without the need for a subscription. Build quality is superb and it's stupidly simple to use, definitely worth a serious consideration if I were in your boots.

Liam1984

Medal Winner
Visit site
At the moment the Golf Buddy WT4 is the best value watch out there IMO, I'm going on looks and amount of accurate, relevant data without the need for a subscription. Build quality is superb and it's stupidly simple to use, definitely worth a serious consideration if I were in your boots.
Cheers

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been using a WT4 after winning it in a draw at my club. I have found it to be excellent. You can get all sorts of hazard distance data but I tend to stay with the basics. The only problem is if you stray from the fairway you should be on. The gps then swaps to that hole if you are looking for a ball for a while. You then have to tell it to go back to the hole you want. That is minor though and others may do the same.
I received it just as my sky caddies battery failed and I do miss the bigger screen but the watch is just a bit more convenient sat on my wrist.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk

I have been using a WT4 after winning it in a draw at my club. I have found it to be excellent. You can get all sorts of hazard distance data but I tend to stay with the basics. The only problem is if you stray from the fairway you should be on. The gps then swaps to that hole if you are looking for a ball for a while. You then have to tell it to go back to the hole you want. That is minor though and others may do the same.
I received it just as my sky caddies battery failed and I do miss the bigger screen but the watch is just a bit more convenient sat on my wrist.

I third these recommendations. I won one from an online comp, the battery life is good, gives loads of info, and like the above say they are so simple to use.

If you shop around you will get them for a decent price. I think they retail around £170

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got a garmin S3 and love it. So simple, almost weightless. Gets a signal quickly, doesn't skip holes if you venture off the fairway. Can keep score and download to pc or measure distance. Love mine.

c_greengrass

Visit site
Yep I've got a Garmin S3 too and highly recommend. No effort to use, just switch on and select the course and away you go. Distances to front/middle/back are very useful, particularly on away courses but use it on the home course too. Even a help on par 3's where the tee moves up and back.

Oh, and new to the forum - hello everyone!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
People keep mentioning [accuracy], if that is key then where you play and how much you play at various other courses means there should only be 1 choice, a SkyCaddie, because we (yes I work for them) have visited and updated over 250 courses this term so far and will continue to visit courses when informed of changes that require addressing, anything else in your hand or on your wrist is simply out of date and could be for many years as it only relies on Ariel imagery that's updated by a third party, which those companies as mentioned above have no control on, and before anyone says it, there are many devices in the SkyCaddie range that do not require a subscription, but for what I see people spending on here, an annual fee for guaranteed accuracy for wherever you may play in the world is a small price to pay, IMHO.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
People keep mentioning [accuracy], if that is key then where you play and how much you play at various other courses means there should only be 1 choice, a SkyCaddie, because we (yes I work for them) have visited and updated over 250 courses this term so far and will continue to visit courses when informed of changes that require addressing, anything else in your hand or on your wrist is simply out of date and could be for many years as it only relies on Ariel imagery that's updated by a third party, which those companies as mentioned above have no control on, and before anyone says it, there are many devices in the SkyCaddie range that do not require a subscription, but for what I see people spending on here, an annual fee for guaranteed accuracy for wherever you may play in the world is a small price to pay, IMHO.

For some people maybe Robin but it isn't enough of a draw for me to carry on paying my subscription....

I'm another with a GolfBuddy WT4 watch and I really like it, does exactly what I need I to.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
For some people maybe Robin but it isn't enough of a draw for me to carry on paying my subscription....

I'm another with a GolfBuddy WT4 watch and I really like it, does exactly what I need I to.

As I clearly stated, if you play at a small number of local courses all the time and if they haven't had any significant changes, then you can afford to have something that isn't religiously updated on an ongoing basis. If you play new courses and travel around a bit, then having something that's potentially inaccurate is pointless IMO.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I clearly stated, if you play at a small number of local courses all the time and if they haven't had any significant changes, then you can afford to have something that isn't religiously updated on an ongoing basis. If you play new courses and travel around a bit, then having something that's potentially inaccurate is pointless IMO.

I do travel around and play.

I still have my eyes :whistle:

I'm more interested in yardages when going for the green, rarely look at distance of things off the tee so makes small difference to me.

I get that's Skycaddies selling point and fair to play to you as it seems a lot of effort goes into accuracy just not enough benefit for me to justify paying a yearly charge.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm happy with my Linx watch. Haven't paid for the extra sub though. Probably would if I could see a demo of it all on another Linx watch though.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I do travel around and play.

I still have my eyes :whistle:

I'm more interested in yardages when going for the green, rarely look at distance of things off the tee so makes small difference to me.

I get that's Skycaddies selling point and fair to play to you as it seems a lot of effort goes into accuracy just not enough benefit for me to justify paying a yearly charge.

I understand that and except your opinion, however, of the 35+ courses I did just over the winter in the Midlands area alone 20% of them had hole order changes and over 50% of them had new greens (moved) along with new or moved greenside bunkers, some had introduced complete new holes and now had winter & summer cards, so, not minor changes like ditches across fairways that you may see or new tee boxes etc, these are hazards that can and will cost you shots if you rely on the yardages and details that are not correct and you can't see them! Many links courses and some hilly parkland courses have blind tee shots, nothing worse when you've travelled and spent good money getting to these courses and paying green fees or competition fees to be out of the competition immediately because your in a pot/fairway bunker that you couldn't see on your outdated GPS!

I was just highlighting more than anything that people were using the word accuracy as a bench mark, well every course I updated over the winter will not be accurate on any other device for possibly years and as such thought that needed highlighting :smirk:

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Last time I was out in Portugal Skycaddie were mapping a course i was playing the guy was out on for foot with the receiver mapping all the hazards with considerable attention to detail. That said I think the subscription fees are a rip off as the costs should be built in to the device you are buying.
Ps I use a Garmin s3 i moved from a Sky Caddie Hand Held just because the Garmin ins quicker to use and theres no fees

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Skycaddie looked like a lovely watch but having to pay £30 a year to use the same functions as the Golf Buddy was the clincher really. I've played quite a few courses lately, including the new one at Ramside and the WT4 has always deadly accurate. As far as I'm aware Golf Buddy and Skycaddie (not sure about the others) use the same GPS technology which gives an accurate position wherever you are in relation to the hole.

For me Skycaddie have missed a trick by continuing to ask for subscriptions when the majority of other devices give the same level of info for free.