GPS warch recommendation please

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello all I'm currently using a golf buddy voice + which is a great watch but mine is over 2 years old its not holding its charge as much now and I can see it not lasting much longer.

Ive looked at The Garmin S2 watch its been around awhile now but I heard quite lots of bad things about it, Please can some one comment on that.
I have also looked at The TomTom Golfer Premium Edition GPS Watch which looks great but to me seems too complicated Id love to know if anyone has that watch and can comment thanks.

If anyone is using another watch please tell me about it id love to know

thanks

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have the Garmin S2. It is very reliable and does what it is supposed to do. It does not give any information on distnances to hazards or the like, though (some of the more advanced Garmin models do). It only gives the distance to the front, middle and back of the green as well as to a 150 and a 100 meter (or yard, you can set it to metric or British units) layup. It also has a function to measure distance, for example if you want to measure how far your shot has gone, and a score card (which I never used, because I find it way too much bother). The battery lasts for a good 18 holes, but not much further (I've had my watch for a year now and use it about once a week).

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been looking at one of these as I was looking at buying a smart watch anyway I looked at the garmin x40. Last time i looked a few weeks ago it was available to pre order but I think it should be out now. Has all youd expect from a decent golf watch (track shots, distance to hazards etc.) but also can connect to your smart phone and has built in HR monitor, which I'll find useful for running save me using a chest strap.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had a Garmin S1 a few years ago. It was okay, but the biggest bugbear for me was the fact that it wouldn't last for 36 holes.
I don't know if they have improved the batteries in the newer models, but even fully charged it would conk out about 8 or 9 holes into the 2nd round.
About 2 years ago I bought a Bushnell Neo XS. It is much (much) better.
Battery life is superb, it can easily last 36 holes. The blurb says it will last 54 but personally I have never put that to the test.
Has a number of other useful features, one of them being you can pre-programme which day and time you are due to tee off and the watch will automatically go into GPS mode about 2 minutes before, so it's ready to go. I have on occasion forgotten to switch the watch on when starting a round and this can lead to embarrassment as you are stood over your first shot into a green waiting for the signal to lock. With this handy feature, you never forget!
Also shows distances of up to four hazards on each hole, so much more information than the basic S1.
I paid £140.00 for mine when it first came out, but they can be purchased now for just over £100.00 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-N...id=1465441113&sr=8-3&keywords=bushnell+neo+xs

I understand that a newer version (iON) is available now
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-Golf-Watch-White-Cobalt/dp/B01BM5KM54/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

but from what I can tell it is no improvement over the original NeoXS other than being slightly smaller. I would still recommend the original for the price difference.