Good article about my club

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good to hear...

Newport is almost full (or as nearly full as makes no difference), Still charges joining fee and is investing in course and clubhouse. It is in an area where many prefer a members' golf club to a "hotel/resort" type place. But, it's certainly a competitive market and modernisation is important

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good piece and glad to see a club doing well. Scrapping joining fees in a lot of clubs is only having a detrimental effect on the game IMO as it's too good for the consumer as offers them too much fluidity. The joining fee is the hook for a lot of people to stop people continually jumping ship to better offers.

I know some boys who done this then eventually gave up the game when the gravy boat ended on special offers for their age group.

I like what our club do in that you get the joining fee back after a period of time as it does keep that person there for a set number of years. Then after the rebate period has ended they don't want to leave as would mean usually paying another joining fee if they wanted to join a course of the same level.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We did the same for this membership year as we are full - an reintroduced a £500 joining fee for full membership. Think this is down to big efforts over the last 2-3 years:

> special introductory deals to attract new members
> good value and well run Ladies, Gents and Juniors Academies - successfully feeding into to the club full and junior membership
> events for new members to integrate into the club and understand more about the game - and to keep them
> investment in the course and greenkeepers equipment - every bunker on the course is currently being rebuilt to a consistent high tech - low maintenance - standard (with steep artificial turf revetted faces);
> investment in driving range - free range balls for members (and no need to collect) and three covered bays
> brand new 'state of art' indoor swing studio
> our Ass Pros are well integrated into the club and take part in many events with members - both within the club and in national comps
> extended and much improved professional shop - with a good stock of clothes and equipment
> improvements to clubhouse - including a new dedicated 'tea/coffee and soup/pies' area.
> well-trained, well turned out, and very polite staff (well my daughter does a it of temp work there - so what else might one expect)
> cracking grub
> lots of well supported social events (choir, christmas show, summer ball etc)

We are working hard - and it's not cheap. However...

Let's see how things go over next couple of years

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did the same for this membership year as we are full - an reintroduced a £500 joining fee for full membership. Think this is down to big efforts over the last 2-3 years:

> special introductory deals to attract new members
> good value and well run Ladies, Gents and Juniors Academies - successfully feeding into to the club full and junior membership
> events for new members to integrate into the club and understand more about the game - and to keep them
> investment in the course and greenkeepers equipment - every bunker on the course is currently being rebuilt to a consistent high tech - low maintenance - standard (with steep artificial turf revetted faces);
> investment in driving range - free range balls for members (and no need to collect) and three covered bays
> brand new 'state of art' indoor swing studio
> our Ass Pros are well integrated into the club and take part in many events with members - both within the club and in national comps
> extended and much improved professional shop - with a good stock of clothes and equipment
> improvements to clubhouse - including a new dedicated 'tea/coffee and soup/pies' area.
> well-trained, well turned out, and very polite staff (well my daughter does a it of temp work there - so what else might one expect)
> cracking grub
> lots of well supported social events (choir, christmas show, summer ball etc)

We are working hard - and it's not cheap. However...

Let's see how things go over next couple of years

Hi Hugh- seems very pro active and a lot of what you have going on is what we have in the pipeline. Like you say though cost is an issue and it's trying to display how a) it will undoubtedly help the club and b) get ahead of other clubs who will no doubt have similar plans.

I'd be interested in seeing in more detail what your club are doing to give our club a little inspiration :)

G

guest100718

Most clubs seem to be doing OK round here, there is a good mix from just wanting a cheapish knock (Stockwood, Panshanger, Aston etc) to the usual old school members clubs like JOG, Knebworth and Letchworth. Although few still have a joining fee and I dont belive any have a waiting list.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Hugh- seems very pro active and a lot of what you have going on is what we have in the pipeline. Like you say though cost is an issue and it's trying to display how a) it will undoubtedly help the club and b) get ahead of other clubs who will no doubt have similar plans.

I'd be interested in seeing in more detail what your club are doing to give our club a little inspiration :)

We have to be pro-active as we are in a very competitive market in the area for good quality members clubs, and so will be happy to give more detail to my first club - I drove past quite a few times two weeks ago as I was in Mearns clearing my mum's house and made plenty of trips up to Greenhags.

Mind you - one thing my club is able to do is charge £1560 for annual subs - the going rate for a decent members club in my area. And a bit of money helps.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been speaking to committee members about the way we recruit and the demographic, especially junior and female members. They are going to look into it and the assistant pro is keen to develop the junior academy in place so could be a good match. I feel getting lady members, especially those under say 35 will be harder

D

Deleted Member 1156

We just got a golf mark award for the things we do .
its £1300 a year and worth every penny .

I've seen clubs advertise that they have these awards. Who hands them out and what for? I'm not trying to knock your club but the ones I've seen in my area are not generally the sort of place I would rush to play.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen clubs advertise that they have these awards. Who hands them out and what for? I'm not trying to knock your club but the ones I've seen in my area are not generally the sort of place I would rush to play.

England golf http://www.golfmark.org/

We've been accredited for a couple of years now and we had to address some issues which now mean the club is in a better place for doing so , plus the dosh as well :D

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Goswick Golf Club has made the shortlist for the England Golf Awards 2018

Championship Venue of the Year after hosting the English Seniors Men’s County Final.

Up against Manchester Golf Club and Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Good news, let's hope they don't turn the other way. joining fees I hate them, I left my old club based on 5 yearly instalments I didn't want to pay. I would have stayed if it wasn't for that.

Each to there own, pays your cash out where you want.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good news, let's hope they don't turn the other way. joining fees I hate them, I left my old club based on 5 yearly instalments I didn't want to pay. I would have stayed if it wasn't for that.

Each to there own, pays your cash out where you want.

If you can get more money into the club the club will be able to spend more on improvements - and if demand is such that we can justify a joining fee then great. I may take a very old-fashioned traditionalist view of golf clubs and improvements - but as current member we are but temporary custodians of my club and course - it is not 'ours' and so we must do our best to improve the course now for future members and that may involve hassle for current members.

A club that does not continually invest in it's clubhouse, course and facilitis is one that will struggle and possibly eventually will die. As members we are not to be selfish - only considering what we want from the club and course now. We must appreciate and understand that what we have today is only due to the investment and sacrifices - that previous generations of members have made.

So if you can see that the club you wish to join has a joining fee - ask what it is doing to improve the club and course - ask about it's 5yr plan. But don't dismiss it because of it's ambitions and the responsibilities that it holds.