Golf swing

jplkorea83

Assistant Pro
www.konglishkitchen.com
Hi guys, I only joined the forum this week. Basically I've just taken up golf again after 7 years without playing. I was playing off 12 back then but haven't touched a club until this week. Surprisingly I'm hitting decent length, straightish shots which I'mamazed at after this time. Just like riding a bike?
My swing isn't feeling natural though so would appreciate your thoughts on my video. I just uploaded something from my phone so it isn't great. The second shot was chunked.
I'm hitting an 8 iron and all my shots are within about 15 yards of each other at about 130-140 which I was happy with after all this time. I know there will be loads of swing issues you can point out

[video=youtube;3lD4fMkZ724]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lD4fMkZ724[/video]

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forums :)

It's quite hard to tell on this video but it looks like your right hand might be a little too far under the grip, but I could well be wrong as it's a funny angle and a bit small to tell.
You also lose the angle between your left arm and the club (lag) quite early in the downswing which will cost you a little power and also (I think) causes your left arm to collapse very early in the follow through.

You don't need to think about pushing the club straight with your wrists in the downswing as it will happen naturally due to whatever force the scientists are calling it this week.
It might also be worth sticking a tee in the ground 4" after the ball and trying to hit the tee peg after the ball. That will hep with extending through impact.

Very nice tempo though and I also like the way you don't try to kill the ball.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the site enjoy. Will leave the "experts" to comment on the swing though. But it does seem very armsy, with poor weight transfer. i.e. the weight staying on the front foot all the time. Nice tempo, should be a really nice swing, when you get back into the swing of things.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome. Very brave putting a swing up too.

Does look a bit 'heave-ish'. You are actually allowed to bend your arms - both back and down swings. Though keeping the left arm straight-ish at the start of the back-swing does have benefits too. Can't really tell from the angle but you may be standing a bit wide too - shoulder-width apart is normally about right for 8-iron.