Golf near Ben Nevis!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
hmmm... not exactly prime golfing real estate.

I played at Fort Augustus a few years ago - which would have been ok, except that they allowed sheep to roam the course (including the greens) and there was sheep pooh everywhere.

In fairness, the Fort William GC website looks ok and could be a decent heathland type course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as others said not renowned for its courses TBH.

As Craw says Traigh and maybe Dragons Tooth, but Fort William was a bog last time i went there and that was middle of a dry summer, FW must be the wettest place in the UK . Fort Aug is Ok.

but you are going to places that the growing season is 2 or 3 months for grass in summer, moss grows all year though if you take my drift. small community courses with little or no money for upkeep

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
as others said not renowned for its courses TBH.

As Craw says Traigh and maybe Dragons Tooth, but Fort William was a bog last time i went there and that was middle of a dry summer, FW must be the wettest place in the UK . Fort Aug is Ok.

but you are going to places that the growing season is 2 or 3 months for grass in summer, moss grows all year though if you take my drift. small community courses with little or no money for upkeep

Dragons Tooth is actually a very good shout, I enjoyed it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I know it's not exactly local but if you are travelling all the way up from Reading then I would be tempted to drive down and get the ferry across to Islay and play the newly revamped Machrie. I've not played it yet and it looks absolutely fabulous. After all, when are you next likely to be anywhere that close to it again??

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I know it's not exactly local but if you are travelling all the way up from Reading then I would be tempted to drive down and get the ferry across to Islay and play the newly revamped Machrie. I've not played it yet and it looks absolutely fabulous. After all, when are you next likely to be anywhere that close to it again??

Would need to be an overnight trip in my opinion.

It's roughly 100 miles to Kennacraig from Fort Bill. That is all single carriageway and the road network isn't conducive to speed. It's then a two hour ferry over to Islay.

I'm off to the "new" Machrie in May and I can't wait to see what it's like. As I have said previously every report I've heard says it's better than both Machrihanish courses! Having played the original Machrie on several occasions I'm interested in seeing how good a job DJ has done.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Would need to be an overnight trip in my opinion.

It's roughly 100 miles to Kennacraig from Fort Bill. That is all single carriageway and the road network isn't conducive to speed. It's then a two hour ferry over to Islay.

I'm off to the "new" Machrie in May and I can't wait to see what it's like. As I have said previously every report I've heard says it's better than both Machrihanish courses! Having played the original Machrie on several occasions I'm interested in seeing how good a job DJ has done.
Yes that would be too much of an effort, I'm not one for having to play top 100 courses etc.