Golf in Bulgaria, Anyone been?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My society are eyeing up a weeks trip to Bulgaria first week of October 2016

Flying to Varna, there are 3 courses within easy reach of our base.
The courses we would be playing are Thracian Cliffs (twice). Black Sea Rama (twice) and Lighthouse with a spare day in the middle if anyone fancies playing either course again.

Couple of questions,

1 Has anyone played these courses, Ive seen Thracian Cliffs on the telly and it looks superb, but what about the other ones.

2 Whilst spectacular Thracian Cliffs looks hard, has an average golfer got a chance around there, or is it going to chew them up and remind them how rubbish they really are in the great scheme of things

Cheers

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Customers of mine rave about Thracian Cliffs.
Evidently it's very tough, you need a buggy and only play matchplay or Stableford.
But they love it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Four guys from our swindle went and played Thracian and said it was brutal - too tough for them to enjoy it - stunning course though

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Heard similar things about Thracian. Beautiful course, great set up and all that. But if you are over a 15 handicapper and not on your game it can be a long way to go to get beat up.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or look at it from the other point of view Phil, you can't go all that way and not play it, no matter how badly it beats you up, they're only golf balls at the end of the day! Do it and report back ASAP!

D

Deleted member 17920

My society are eyeing up a weeks trip to Bulgaria first week of October 2016

Flying to Varna, there are 3 courses within easy reach of our base.
The courses we would be playing are Thracian Cliffs (twice). Black Sea Rama (twice) and Lighthouse with a spare day in the middle if anyone fancies playing either course again.

Couple of questions,

1 Has anyone played these courses, Ive seen Thracian Cliffs on the telly and it looks superb, but what about the other ones.

2 Whilst spectacular Thracian Cliffs looks hard, has an average golfer got a chance around there, or is it going to chew them up and remind them how rubbish they really are in the great scheme of things

Cheers
Very jealous, they all look superb.

Whats the cost including flights phil?

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Very jealous, they all look superb.

Whats the cost including flights phil?
It's 599 sharing , Package Details: 7 nights Bed and Breakfast
5 rounds of Golf
​​ All Ground Transfers
​​ Buggy at ThracianCliffs
​​ Trolleys at other courses plus Range Balls

Flights about 200 plus food n beer money
So not cheap , but not bonkers pricey either

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I played Black Sea Rama earlier this year, and really liked it. Some really testing holes and some picturesque ones.
5 tee positions, 6240 metres down to 4662 metres, although with the wind up, it can be a lot longer!
Opens with a par 5, 4th, 5th and 6th make up a lovely little corner of holes, par 3 13th is tricky to judge where the pin is from the tee. However, the 18th remains the finest hole (their signature) of the course. A 211 metre tee shot from the tips, across a canyon and the Black Sea on your right.
It's not a particularly difficult course if you keep it on the fairway. It's based on a links format, and the rough is more wispy grass than thick grass, but it can be difficult to find your ball at times.
Watch out for snakes though; I almost trod on one on a cart path! Not sure if they're poisonous or not, but better safe than sorry!
I hope I enjoy it as much as I did.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Regarding the question about playability, I shot an 87 (off 13), and while the rough cost me a couple of balls, overall, it's a fair test of golf without being overly easy.

D

Deleted member 17920

It's 599 sharing , Package Details: 7 nights Bed and Breakfast
5 rounds of Golf
​​ All Ground Transfers
​​ Buggy at ThracianCliffs
​​ Trolleys at other courses plus Range Balls

Flights about 200 plus food n beer money
So not cheap , but not bonkers pricey either

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

How did you get on with this Phil or anyone else that's been.

I am looking at this for either next year or 2019.

Thracian Cliffs looks superb.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

How did you get on with this Phil or anyone else that's been.

I am looking at this for either next year or 2019.

Thracian Cliffs looks superb.

I didnt go in the end, but 8 members of my society did, the general consensus was that you had to go off the correct tee for your ability as at Thracian Cliffs there were many shots that required a 200 yard carry over cliffs and water and ravines and they lost dozens of balls between them, but they all said it was a spectacular course and they would all be back in a flash as long as they could play off the ladies tee :)

I think if you are a half decent golfer, it would be great, but a 70 year old 28 handicapper (as some of my society are) its going to chew you up and spit out the bones

Bogie Boy

Hacker
Visit site
I've played all three Black Sea courses, in 2012, and all were cracking tracks in great condition. Thracian is the standout, with many memorable holes, and is as stunning as the marketing suggests. Black Sea Rama is a brilliant second track. I loved the 18th, a rare closing par 3 over a ravine. They even have their own red wine which also comes highly recommended. The Lighthouse is a respectable third track and has high quality apartments at reasonable rates in which the family stayed. All three courses are within 10 mins of one another. Food is classic Balkans: plenty of red wine and meat. I'd go back.