Golf coaches

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you only ever text him though? (The impression I got from reading your descriptions of the exchanges.) Do you try actually phone him and he doesn't answer or what? Some people just don't do well with texting - it's still annoying but some people are just like that. Maybe if you phone him or just book your next lesson in person while you're on the current lesson it would work better?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you only ever text him though? (The impression I got from reading your descriptions of the exchanges.) Do you try actually phone him and he doesn't answer or what? Some people just don't do well with texting - it's still annoying but some people are just like that. Maybe if you phone him or just book your next lesson in person while you're on the current lesson it would work better?

That's what I plan to do from now on phone him or book in person.

All the contact has been via txt so you might be right he is old school so best to just ring him perhaps

I just don't like ringing pros as never no when their teaching so would hate to disturb them when their busy

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what I plan to do from now on phone him or book in person.

All the contact has been via txt so you might be right he is old school so best to just ring him perhaps

I just don't like ringing pros as never no when their teaching so would hate to disturb them when their busy
Well it's worth a try ringing him before you sack him off entirely, if you're happy with his lessons. What you say about him being on lessons might be why he never answers a text - reads the text during lesson, puts phone away and forgets to answer it at the end! At least with a phone call, he might not answer it during lessons but you can leave a voicemail which he'll only listen to after the lesson when he's free, so then he can call back straight away.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well it's worth a try ringing him before you sack him off entirely, if you're happy with his lessons. What you say about him being on lessons might be why he never answers a text - reads the text during lesson, puts phone away and forgets to answer it at the end! At least with a phone call, he might not answer it during lessons but you can leave a voicemail which he'll only listen to after the lesson when he's free, so then he can call back straight away.

Well I've got my lesson Monday now and I'm gonna work out a few dates when I think right that's going to be my next lesson and I'll book it there and then with him

Think might be best way

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a similar problem with our club secretary actually. Sometimes I email him, or text him to ask certain things, and he won't reply for 3 or 4 days or sometimes not all. But I also don't always like to phone him because I know he probably has a day job and a life and I feel like I'd be disturbing him. So I end up just going with the flow and hoping he got the message, ha. Or if I really need the answer I'll phone him - otherwise just turn up at the comp and hope for the best. :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a similar problem with our club secretary actually. Sometimes I email him, or text him to ask certain things, and he won't reply for 3 or 4 days or sometimes not all. But I also don't always like to phone him because I know he probably has a day job and a life and I feel like I'd be disturbing him. So I end up just going with the flow and hoping he got the message, ha. Or if I really need the answer I'll phone him - otherwise just turn up at the comp and hope for the best. :D

I started using whatapp with him only because you get the double blue tick when he reads it so least you know it's been read

This time I wasn't txting days later to say did u get my message? Always think that sounds rude

Today least I spoke to him in person and booked a lesson for Monday for my short game

Glad I can keep him because he has given me the best results.. I mean not done my sanity any good chasing him but results are key lol

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a tough choice if you have a busy coach. They tend to be busy because they are good.

I had to stop seeing a guy that really helped my game because I just couldn't get a lesson at short notice, even though I can be pretty flexible with my availability.

With you're guy I'd be using the phone, if they are busy then it's probably not just you who's texting\messaging him and it can't be easy to stay on top of all the messages.

Maybe suggest he uses an online booking service, all the coaches at the place I go to use a service where you can just book your own lessons online in their diary.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Paul you have to talk to him about it. You might be helping him too!
Maybe he's got a lot of stuff going on personally and/or is just a poor communicator

Ask him if you're doing something wrong
Tell him you really rate him and want to work with him.
Tell him you struggle with his poor communication and the time/effort it takes to book in.
Tell him you want this to work better because you want to keep working with him.

You got to find the right way to do it though

I've had similar issue with my coach, he says he'll get back to me then doesn't.
So I tell him I'll stop referring people to him and if he's so busy I'll take lessons from another Pro (that he openly detests!).
Or I slag off the work he's done with me or the team he supports, usually get's a response!