golf clubs for xmas

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
evening all,

I have received an AG card for Xmas and am looking at clubs to use it on. I have only played a couple of 9 holes. I have been looking st callaway xr steelhead but would like 3-4 options that I can ask to try at a custom fit.

Many thanks,
R

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're new to the game, I wouldn't worry too much about a custom fit. Your swing will change a lot over the coming weeks / months / years.

Go down there and hit as many different irons as you can and see what suits your eye / feels good.

I did something similar when buying a new set 5 years ago from a similar position to you. Actually, I chose a set that I hadn't even heard of before i got down to AG, and I haven't regretted it.

My main recommendation though, would be to go to a shop attached to a driving range so you can see it fly rather than just hitting at a net.

Have fun - I'd love to be in your position; new bats are always exciting.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Migjht be better to buy a set of decent branded 2nd hand clubs rather than new cheapo clubs.

Cant go wrong with some Ping, Calloway or Titliest clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the custom fit is normally free with AG go for it. Getting the correct length and lie is very important and what you buy should last quite a few years.

As a beginner I would only look at irons 6-PW and spend money on a wedge around 50 degrees and one around 56 degrees if you d not already have these. If you do it s not important that these clubs match the 6-PW.

Looking at what AG offer I agree with taking a look at Wilson and Benross particularly the latter, they do not sponsor pros so save a lot on the selling cost.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would never pay the price they are asking for 2nd hand clubs, at least in my local store. It is close to outrageous. Maybe it differs store to store, or there is a lot of room for haggling. The value you can get on Ebay is way beyond what AG is offering. Just a personal opinion, but I would take the free fitting and head of to Ebay or somewhere else. Use your vouchers on balls, gloves etc